GMP High Court Ruling

Hi
Does anyone have any information on the GMP High Court Ruling announced in the financial times on 20/11/2020?
Is this something we should be looking into with our trustees?

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 24 November 2020 at 6:00PM
    Definitely something all trustees of contracted out schemes pre 1997 need to look at!
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    betty66 said:
    Hi
    Does anyone have any information on the GMP High Court Ruling announced in the financial times on 20/11/2020?
    Is this something we should be looking into with our trustees?

Of course it is (assuming you are for real and not trolling - hard to believe a board of trustees wouldn't know about this). Ask the scheme lawyers to advise, in liaison with the scheme actuary and administrators. 
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes! It's effectively certain that any scheme that saw transfers out is going to have to make smallish equalisation payments to some men and/or some women who transferred out. Can be either or both depending on the specifics for each person. It's likely to cost more in administration than in amounts paid.
  • Thanks guys I'm new to pensions but was interested to read this article.  My husband is on a GMP which saw a huge reduction when he became eligible for state pension which we were not expecting.  Any amount will help us.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 November 2020 at 2:47PM
    betty66 said:
    Thanks guys I'm new to pensions but was interested to read this article.  My husband is on a GMP which saw a huge reduction when he became eligible for state pension which we were not expecting.  Any amount will help us.
    'A huge reduction at State pension age' doesn't sound like this issue.  Is his occupational pension a 'claw back' scheme - ie, pays a higher rate until the State pension kicks in?  If so, that will have been fully explained in his pension scheme booklet.
  • No it's not related to this issue but it definitely wasn't explained to us what would happen.  Our fault I know but hard when you realise what you signed when you were in your 20's!

• ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have emailed the pension trustees from my ex DB scheme asking them to confirm if there was an impact on my transfer value. Awaiting a reply.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ianthy said:
    I have emailed the pension trustees from my ex DB scheme asking them to confirm if there was an impact on my transfer value. Awaiting a reply.
    Don't hold your breath.  It will take years to work through all the re-calculations.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback