DLR noise? Loud horn....

Options
Hi,

So I recently moved into an apartment block right next to a DLR station. I can hear the trains coming to and fro, and that is not a problem.

However what does happen is that occasionally the trains coming into the station would sound a very loud almost fog-horn like noise. And this happens throughout the day up until the very last train at about 1:30am. SO throughout the day is not a big deal, but you can imagine sleeping at night and every few trains there is a loud disturbance, in fact at night it's almost every train.

I have since tried to observe when the horn sounds, and it seems to be when the train does not stop at the station and passes straight through, my observation is not comprehensive though, I need to do more.

Also I thought that the loud horn was possibly automated or somewhat, but then they vary in length and loudness, so thought maybe it was man-activated. And then a few nights ago at past midnight, the horn was sounded in rhythm to a football chant, at which point I knew there was someone behind it. And to do that at past midnight, isn't that quite insensitive?

So my question is, does anyone know much about this? I know it is quite a niche topic, and I'm not sure if it is just my station, or if it happens at every station and what the reason is behind the sounding of the horn? Is it to let people who are rushing to the platform know that they just missed a train or something? Or to hurry them up?

Do you think if I write to TFL there could be something done about it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Blackbeard_of_Perranporth Posts: 7,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 November 2020 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Question. Was the DLR there before you moved into your home?
    If yes, you could have moved somewhere 

Mind you, I live near the Bristol to Birmingham railway, and don't wake the night worrying about the noise. 

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If trains are going at high speed through a station and not stopping the driver has to warn / alert people that a high speed train is passing through.

If they stand to near the platform edge they may be sucked in as train passes? So will be killed. So not insensitive! LOL

Buy some decent ear plugs. Or perhaps move to another flat somewhere not near a railway station / line?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Rony
    Rony Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes it was there, however the horn sounds didn't sound whilst I was viewing. They only sound occasionally and moreso at night.

As I said, normally railway noises don't bother me, but these blaring horns do somewhat as they are quite jarring. I've been sleeping with ear plugs in so that blocks it out.

I was thinking if someone knew why they are needed it would help me understand the situation.

• Rony
    edited 22 November 2020 at 6:42PM
    Options
    Hasbeen said:
    If trains are going at high speed through a station and not stopping the driver has to warn / alert people that a high speed train is passing through.

If they stand to near the platform edge they may be sucked in as train passes? So will be killed. So not insensitive! LOL

Buy some decent ear plugs. Or perhaps move to another flat somewhere not near a railway station / line?
    I see, thank you for this. This makes a lot of sense, dunno why I didn't think of it earlier!

I guess there is sense behind them then so I will just have to keep with the ear plugs then, or just sleep after 1am!

Maybe when the fit Platform screen doors they will stop then!

Thanks,
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rony said:
    Maybe when they fit Platform screen doors they will stop then!
    Please post again on this thread if/when that ever happens.  :)
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    It is very unusual for DLR trains to skip stops. Normally all services call at all stations. Probably these are out of service trains returning to depot.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Question. Was the DLR there before you moved into your home?
    If yes, you could have moved somewhere 
    Mind you, I live near the Bristol to Birmingham railway, and don't wake the night worrying about the noise. 
    You do like to make condescending posts that don’t help anyone, don’t you? I can’t work out why, given your history, you think that you’re in any position to sneer at others.

Anyway, OP, I used to live right next to Westferry, amd they started this while I was there. I politely complained, and they stopped. I can’t remember now what it was about, but they were able to change what they were doing when they realised that it was affecting people.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The DLR is driverless - so I imagine it's primarily and automated system. Fingers crossed they don't go to 24 hours like other parts of the tube network :) I can't see them ever stopping the noise - as warning people of a passing train is quite important. Is this a purchased apartment or a rental? I imagine that if a rental - and it gets to you in the longer term, you'll have to find somewhere else when your contract is up - if it's your own place - you might want to see if you can improve the soundproofing somehow to reduce the impact, but hard to know what you can do on this front without knowing a few more specifics. Potentially you could look at things like Acoustic curtains? (They are a thing!) The more layers you can put up between the world outside and your bed - the less noise will get through.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should complain. TfL do have rules about late night noise. 
  • Rony
    edited 23 November 2020 at 11:57AM
    Options
    @KeithP
    I will do haha

@jbuchanangb I dunno, I look out my window and if there aren't any people on the platform nor anyone calling for a stop, they seem to just go straight through. They do slow down though whilst going through the platform.

@John_

Thank for this! Do you think they would in this scenario, as the noise is for the safety of the people on the platform. Maybe instead of blaring it out, they can shorten the length of the noise and reduce loudness.

@cymruchris
    This is a bought apartment unfortunately. Tbh I don't regret this, I do really like this place and all of the other factors. I just wanted some clarity on this issue. I have looked at acoustic curtains! Unfortunately I bought my current curtains before I knew about acoustic ones, and to be honest I am a bit wary of them, like how much more does it really block out? I might get some later down the years.

Also I have read that DLR is due to go 24hrs some point in the future, good transport wise, but sleep wise :S  I have ear plugs, but they tend to fall out during the night whilst I'm asleep. :S We shall see

@t0rt0ise You know what, I might just send them a polite email and see what they say. There's no harm.

Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure