PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storing food in case of shortage

Options
Hi
Reading in the news that a food shortage may be imminent I would like to know any tips for long-term storing of fruit and veg.
I've started stocking up on tins and long-life milk etc but am concerned of the perishables.
Are those part-baked breads in plastic packets good to keep for a few weeks?

Many thanks

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You may want to look at the prepping thread. Might give you ideas.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    Reading in the news that a food shortage may be imminent I would like to know any tips for long-term storing of fruit and veg.
    I've started stocking up on tins and long-life milk etc but am concerned of the perishables.

Many thanks
    Yes, just check the dates, but I've found they easily go past without harm to me or the bread [baguettes in my case]
    FYI I bought two packs in the Co-op yesterday, on offer, 2 for £1.50. BBE is 13 Jan 2021

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the biggest problem will be in highly-perishable foods which aren't produced in the UK - which from a glance around my workplace is fresh fruit and vegetables. Meaning that tinned fruit and veg is probably going to be the thing that gets stripped from the shelves in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Beef is another, as we have quite a lot imported from Ireland. You're also right that flour will probably be an issue which again will be the pasta.

I would predict that people will go silly with long-life milk again too, but that's all locally-produced so I don't really see that it's worth the time and energy stockpiling those. During the first lockdown farmers were milking their cows as always and then tipping it onto fields to rot because they couldn't sell it... the very opposite of a shortage.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks
    YOu might be better off with a couple of bags of flour and some sachets of yeast!  FLour can then be used to make sodabread (sweet, fruity or plain) or pancakes of any type, scones....all with very little added to it. 

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    purpleivy said:
    Hi

Many thanks
    YOu might be better off with a couple of bags of flour and some sachets of yeast!  FLour can then be used to make sodabread (sweet, fruity or plain) or pancakes of any type, scones....all with very little added to it. 

Remember, too, that you don't need to have 3 different varieties of flour in stock; just buy bread flour.  Use that to make bread, pizza, cakes, pasta dough, etc.  To make self-raising flour, add a teaspoon of baking powder per cup of flour.  In my case, I buy chapatti flour in 10kg sacks and store it in two of the largest sized Lock-n-Lock boxes.  (9L box, IIRC)  It gets used for everything.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • skogar
    skogar Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd go down the flour and yeast front - but as we normally make our own bread and don't buy it that may be just me. Alternatives may be worth looking at that  can be used instead of bread if you like any of them - krisprolls, oatcakes, crisp bread, ryvita type things last for months. I like them all except I'm not keen on ryvita. If you've got the room you could always stick a couple of sliced loaves in the freezer as well.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 61.5/66.5 coupons remaining
    1 cardigan
  • Wraithlady
    Options
    Remember, too, that you don't need to have 3 different varieties of flour in stock; just buy bread flour.  Use that to make bread, pizza, cakes, pasta dough, etc.  
    I have had biscuits made with bread flour (by someone who really had never baked and didn't know there were different types of flour) and they were decidedly .... oddly textured. Not unpleasant just very chewy with a solidity one doesn't tend to get in a biscuit.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • Wraithlady
    Options
    Oatcakes are actually fairly simple to make - just whizz up some porridge oats in a food processor and you have oatmeal flour

2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please do read labels. Many Arla brand dairy products, including long life milk, come from Denmark. Listerine is made in Italy. Many household name chocolates are made in Poland. Lindt comes from Switzerland and Ferrero Rocher and Nutella, from Italy, Many (but not all) loo rolls come from Italy and pretty much 100% of dried pasta. HP sauce is made in the Netherlands. Many stock cubes are made in Germany. Since last year, Badoit stopped exporting their water to the UK. There will be many more products disappearing. Lidl might be a good place to find European food though. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback