New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Dentures at 34 😔

7 replies 537 views
Camilla86Camilla86 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi All, 
Not sure if this is right place to post as Im new here and trying to find my way around.  Im 34. Due to a lot of health related and genetic reasons I will most likely end up with dentures. I wonder how does the whole process work? If i go for NHS will band 3 cover all necessary extractions and dentures? 

What about dating/ sex life? Im petrified of all sorts of accidents that can possibly happen? 

Replies

• MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    There is some information here - https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/dental-health/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

But who has told you that you might have to have teeth out and dentures fitted?
    Have you been to see a dentist? 

You may not need to have your teeth out and dentures fitted, you really do need to see and talk to a dentist first, there are all kinds of things they can do before you have to have total extraction and false teeth.

You could perhaps (in this time of coronavirus pandemic) phone a dentist and see if they - or their assistant - can talk to you about what can be done to help you. Most dentists nowadays really don't want to take teeth out unless it's absolutely essential.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - "What about dating/sex life? Im petrified of all sorts of accidents that can possibly happen?"

I don't understand that question at all.
  • Conrad3000Conrad3000 Forumite
    75 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    MalMonroe said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by this - "What about dating/sex life? Im petrified of all sorts of accidents that can possibly happen?"

I don't understand that question at all.
    Probably means the dentures might accidentally fall out and hang on to someone's nether regions.
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    713 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Camilla86 said:
    What about dating/ sex life? Im petrified of all sorts of accidents that can possibly happen? 
    I am 59 and this has crossed my mind too. If you are kissing someone, could be become dislodged, kissing with no teeth in; its not a good immage to have detures  :)

• donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are ads for products that help keep dentures in place, I am assuming these do work?
  • edited 15 November at 12:21PM
    ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 November at 12:21PM
    There are ads for products that help keep dentures in place, I am assuming these do work?
    Just like mouthwash & whitening toothpaste! :D

Seriously, they can help - but are not a 'magic bullet'. People do get used to dentures. It's not like having your own teeth, but people adapt to cope. It's true to say that the younger you are when you get dentures, the better you adapt, as young people adapt to new things much better than older people.

the OP shouldn't give up on her own teeth though. Medical and genetic conditions do not necessarily 'cause' tooth problems, although restrictions and habits such problems can cause (diet modifications, need for syrup based medicines, physical problems causing impaired toothbrushing etc) can be detrimental to dental health. If you can discuss these issues with your dentist and find modifications you can make, or alternatives you could use - then you may be able to save at least some teeth - and the more you can save, the better any denture could be supported in future.

losing your teeth is a process, not just pull 'em out and whack in a denture. It's often done in a few stages, and early sets of dentures will probably only be useful or a few months before changes caused by your gums healing will mean another set is required. 

Each time a new set is needed it will be another Band 3 NHS charge. This is best discussed with your dentist though, as depending on which teeth need removing and when, will depend on how many stages are needed. It's pointless me trying to guess exactly how it could be done, as there are so many variables that will be unique to you.

good luck with it all.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 16 November at 7:21AM
    Christianne1957Christianne1957 Forumite
    10 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    edited 16 November at 7:21AM
    Hang on to your natural teeth as long you possibly can with thorough cleaning, flossing and using interdental brushes at least twice a day and six monthly visits to your dentist . Seems like hard work but it will be worth it to stave off the dentures as long as possible! I broke six teeth when I was 18 in a motorbike accident and had to have crowns put on but those lasted 43 years until they had replaced by implants. I had temporary partial dentures whilst implants and bone grafts healed although they were cosmetically good - I was pleased to bin them once implants were completed as they were uncomfortable and eating and speaking. Was tricky.
    Work hard to hang on to your own!
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try not to worry though similar thoughts myself, I thought one point my front teeth were a goner and I was heading for dentures I was also told this in 2016 too but yesterday after I guess technology and procedures have changed, following a recent food accident my front teeth back were filled and after 20 years of chips also in those same teeth I’m actually chip free! Now that feels bl00dy weird. After next week’s extraction when it will be 3 teeth out (fortunately their all singulars as it were) I’m just leaving holes.