Hospital transfer

I am currently having ongoing treatment at my local hospital, having a CT scan next week, with an operation within the next few months. I might be moving soon, 50 miles away. Whether I will be living in a new place or not, I would like to continue my treatment (and op) at the hospital 50 miles away. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about changing hospitals?

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Not all hospitals treat all conditions.
    The NHS Choices website. There is more information about the doctors and hospitals you can choose from.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    you would need to get your  new GP to refer you to the local provider for treatment. You will  need to be seen by the clinical team first though, they wont just list you for surgery without seeing you. The new hospital will be able to request the images of your CT scan so you shouldnt have to have that done again. You could ask your current team if they could recommend someone in your new area to be referred to when the time comes 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm a bit confused- do you want to continue treatment at your current hospital or move to a hospital near your new home?

If you wish to move to hospital, I would recommend first talking to your current consultant- they may be able to refer directly to a colleague in the new place or advise on what is available in the new area.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback