What time does your employment end on the day you depart for liability and service purposes?

Options
From an insurance, liability and personal death in service benefit perspective, what time does your employment end when you leave a job?
I have never seen an employment contract specify the exact time your employment ends on the day you resign. Therefore if you were to leave a job say Monday, and start with your new employer on Tuesday but died in between, would the employment contract cover your death in service benefits such as the lump pay-out to your spouse?
It does make you think very carefully when and how you resign to make sure your covered on all eventualities.
Does anyone have technical knowledge of this situation? 

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It ends when you leave work. It's that simple. 
  • techwatcher
    Options
    My understanding is that benefits technically cease at 23:59 on the final day.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    My understanding is that benefits technically cease at 23:59 on the final day.

Did you mean 23:59:59.999999.... ?
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    I'm afraid it isn't that simple - for example, you might be on annual or garden leave on your last day of employment.

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Comms69 said:
    Not physically leave work it doesn't, I've left on a Friday afternoon and my employment ends on the Sunday and transfers across on the Monday, so no break in employment status.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It does make you think very carefully when and how you resign to make sure your covered on all eventualities.
    Does anyone have technical knowledge of this situation? 
    Not sure it does really.

For most considerations your contract will end at just before midnight at the end of your notice period so for many people it will finish on "Friday" and your new job will start on "Monday" and so technically you are unemployed for that weekend.  Clearly some decide its time for a well deserved break and may well go for a short holiday between the end of one and the start of the next.

I don't think too many people cower at home covered in bubble wrap to protect themselves for that weekend whilst unemployed but then most people don't consider all the possible outcomes in life and do more high risk things like going on holiday without travel insurance etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback