Self assessment mileage claim as an employee working from home

Options
Hello
In interpreting the guidance from HMRC, now that my employer has officially contracted me to work from home (as we have all decided to never go back into the office again), I interpret that any work related journey I make I can claim mileage in my self assessment from the moment I leave home if I am not claiming the mileage from my employer.
Therefore each time I now make the periodic commute to the town where I used to be based for essential site visits etc, I interpret that I can claim this as allowable expenses.
Do others agree?

Comments

• oh_really
    Options
    Hello
    In interpreting the guidance from HMRC, now that my employer has officially contracted me to work from home (as we have all decided to never go back into the office again), I interpret that any work related journey I make I can claim mileage in my self assessment from the moment I leave home if I am not claiming the mileage from my employer.
    Therefore each time I now make the periodic commute to the town where I used to be based for essential site visits etc, I interpret that I can claim this as allowable expenses.
    Do others agree?

Why is employer not paying as this is work activity and your an employee?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oh_really said:
    Hello
    Do others agree?

Why is employer not paying as this is work activity and your an employee?
    Employers are not obliged to cover mileage. 
  • oh_really
    Options
    Q. stands.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    Yes, the question is about why your employer might not be paying your legitimate expenses (travelling to their venue from home).
    This would be much better for you - getting full value of the cost rather than the tax element on the loss.  Isn't that how it works when you are an employee.  
    Of course, if you are a contractor rather than an employee, then you could deduct the allowed cost from your income.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Yes, the question is about why your employer might not be paying your legitimate expenses (travelling to their venue from home).
    This would be much better for you - getting full value of the cost rather than the tax element on the loss.  Isn't that how it works when you are an employee.  
    Of course, if you are a contractor rather than an employee, then you could deduct the allowed cost from your income.
    Not really, as the P11D would then tax an extra on top of the 45p a mile allowance anyway? I mean yes it's still beneficial; but only if the employer pays more than 45p a mile; and the benefit isn't that great 
  • General_Grant
    Options
    I don't know of any employer who pays more than the HMRC rates (45p/mile for the first tranche).
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
     (as we have all decided to never go back into the office again), 

Will the office be closed permanently?  
  • Comms69
    Options
    I don't know of any employer who pays more than the HMRC rates (45p/mile for the first tranche).
    The biggest employer in the country does...
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,020 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your contract is changed to make your permanent place of work your home, then business mileage door to door.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it'll depend on how often you drive to the office - i was home based but travelling to customers so claimed all mileage back, but some of our staff had to go via the office and that bit was classed as commuting
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure