Complete Career Change

Options
Just wanted some opinions and advice.
I've been in Account Management/Sales for the past 15 years! I've now decided that I don't want to be chained to a desk anymore and want to go into a Healthcare Assistant role. 

I've applied for a few over this weekend. Just wondered if they'd even look twice at someone with by career history and what the chances are of me getting into this role?
Has anyone made the change before?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Belle657 said:
    I've been in Account Management/Sales for the past 15 years! I've now decided that I don't want to be chained to a desk anymore and want to go into a Healthcare Assistant role. 

I've applied for a few over this weekend. Just wondered if they'd even look twice at someone with by career history and what the chances are of me getting into this role?
    Good for you. What other people have done won't really help much - they aren't you and they weren't doing what you are trying to do in the current situation, so any war stories should not dissuade you, or raise your hopes unduly in case you are then disappointed.

If you have a well presented cv with an excellent, tailored covering letter, and meet the basic requirements then there is no reason why they wouldn't consider you - but the number of job applicants is high at present and will only get higher, so be prepared for the fact it could take a while and probably a lot of applications.

Best of luck. Healthcare assistants really are vital.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes you can be considered if you've shown in application how transferable skills can come across and willing to learn, I made the move from Conference Sales Co ordinator after nearly 5 years spent just in that one role to Home Care Assistant >particularly not long after passing my driving test< and at the time I couldn't progress or see clearly what my next move would be. After the time and in hindsight it probably would have been best to volunteer in care first or least have an informal chat with the line manager when potentially leaving quite a full-time safety net for something which you may have to experience less hours as you become acquainted to a new industry. Of course anyone can bounce back from wrong moves and things can turn out for the best in long run, but it can be hard when you've made the change from being relatively secure.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The advice that I've been given (I'm looking to move from work as an editor to being a hospital cleaner) is to write a "competency" CV that fits in with the skills, experience and competencies that you have that are required in your new role. The job descriptions you see may also give a clue as to what you can do to help your application. For example, as a hospital cleaner, it will help me to do an online health and safety course.  
  • Darkslider
    Options
    My ex was a home carer for a private provider. A noble profession but she effectively earnt less than minimum wage some days, you may want to consider that depending on what level you're hoping to join as. 
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My ex was a home carer for a private provider. A noble profession but she effectively earnt less than minimum wage some days, you may want to consider that depending on what level you're hoping to join as. 

A home carer is different to a Health Care Assistant, which is what the OP is hoping to be. Health care assistants usually work in hospitals or in GPs surgeries and are trained to take blood samples and blood pressure, things of that nature and are probably paid a bit more than home carers.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Belle657 said:

One of my friends was a sales assistant who went to work at a GP surgery as a receptionist. Then one of the partners at the surgery asked her if she'd like to train as a Health Care Assistant. She did, and she's not looked back, she loves her job.

All you need, if my friend's experience is anything to go by, is enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. It's a different career and you will need training but there's no reason why you shouldn't make the change. 

Age won't be a problem either as employers are not allowed to discriminate against anyone on grounds of age. (Well, there are a few exceptions but the career you have chosen isn't included.)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback