Which- Will

I have. power of Attorney done by a Solicitor here in Scotland.  Sorted as have mental illness and history of sections.  So thought best to do so!
Seen on Which the review mag/website they offer a Will service and a Power of Attorney.    I know in Scottish law each page of a will needs to be signed.  Power of Attorney a Solicitor/Dr needs to talk to you and sign to say free will etc.  Can't mind the exact details but even amending a Power of Attorney a Solicitor needs to mee the person which for me has been a nightmare due to COVID as I wanted to express no life support if I got covid and a few things.
My head says best to get a Solicitor to draw up the will- currently I very little.  But unmarried and want my money to go to my partner.  Times goes on will update as fit.

Am I best going the traditional road here?  Thanks

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Why do you need a solicitor? 
    I have financial and medical power of attorney for my grandfather and I did it myself, I applied online and they sent the forms which we filled In, semi back and about a month later both lots came through.  Why dont you just tell whoever it is that has the medical power of attorney over you that you want DNR and if ever, ,god forbid, the time comes they will know your wishes. 

As for a will, my husband and I did ours last October because its free will month. Did it all online and the drafts were sent about 3 weeks later for us to sign and accept and the certified copies came about 3 weeks after that, didnt cost a penny.

I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    sarah1972 said:
    Why do you need a solicitor? 
    I have financial and medical power of attorney for my grandfather and I did it myself, I applied online and they sent the forms which we filled In, semi back and about a month later both lots came through.  Why dont you just tell whoever it is that has the medical power of attorney over you that you want DNR and if ever, ,god forbid, the time comes they will know your wishes. 

As for a will, my husband and I did ours last October because its free will month. Did it all online and the drafts were sent about 3 weeks later for us to sign and accept and the certified copies came about 3 weeks after that, didnt cost a penny.

Free wills are often better than nothing, and indeed often perfectly OK,  where the estate is simple, the parties married - and they don't live in Scotland with the added complexities of Scots law.

OP, I'd certainly go the solicitor route for your will.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback