The second hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Options

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the student loan. Congratulations 🥳👏 on your pregnancy. I think nursery will do DS good so going part time should help as you say.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Cornish_mum
    Options
    Many congratulations, CM
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all, that's a good point about student loan too @South_coast! Not feeling majorly symptomatic at the moment but trying not to worry too much. What will be will be, and I wasn't really nauseous last time either. Bet it's another boy lol. We actually only have a boy name at the moment anyway.

Work have actually announced we're definitely getting another 2.9% today so that takes me to £37,857 and DH to £42,353. As someone who grew up on a council estate those amounts seem crazy to me. Just looking I honestly feel like we live a completely different lifestyle to what that would suggest. One day when we're post nursery fees maybe I'll feel a bit different lol.

S74 have asked for a bit more info. One of the things is an email from the repairing VW garage about what caused the fault, could it be an inherent/manufacturing issue etc. They're yet to reply, but as that is shooting themselves in the foot I'm interested to see if they bother or not. Surely ignoring again is proof they're in the wrong? The only info on lifespan I could find is here which says 100-120k miles but it's hardly an official source so can't see that being accepted. Unfortunately as it failed after 6 months the burden is on me to prove it wasn't of sufficient quality to start with. 

Feel like every day something gets worse at the moment. Will see what they do with stamp duty tomorrow and if it makes house prices go even more mental. At the rate interest rates keep rising we may end up being here for longer than I want but such is life. 

Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm impressed at what you are achieving on those wages - especially with nursery as well.
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • South_coast
    Options
    Brilliant news on the pay increases - and even better that the SLC won't be getting their thieving hands on 9% of it!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Paid student loan off yesterday so finally gone. Woop. 

VW still haven't replied. Think it's 10 days now? Will chase up and ask them to actually let me know if they're refusing to provide a response. Don't really want to have to waste time doing an hour round trip to go to the branch but I'll have to if they won't respond to me. Honestly they're never getting a penny of my money again. They're such a shoddy outfit. 

Going to tell my manager today about baby which I'm not looking forward to as I only started again in April (technically Feb as I was using accrued holiday until I actually started back. 

Worked out if interest rates go to 6% that will add circa £370 to the mortgage (estimate to have around 200k left in Jan 24 when fix expires). If nothing changes definitely can't see us moving. We could probably have afforded it if not for nursery, but I won't put us right on the edge because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Continuing to plug away at prolific surveys because I think they will be the only source of OP's the way things are going. 
    Finally bought a home
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Congratulations on getting rid of the student loan -that will be another nice sum that now goes to you and not them!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Well done on clearing the student loan. 

Good luck with breaking the news to your manager...
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks both. Manager was fine though I do feel awful as so close together, but I did explain that because of my age and not wanting to start again at 40 because of risks etc hand was sort of forced if we were going to have another. This will definitely be the last!

Still no reply from VW. Has been 12 days now so I've asked them when to expect a response, or to at least let me know if they're not going to provide one. I'm so sick of being ignored by them. 

8% rates will put £600 on mortgage which is fun when nearly everything I'm earning will go on nursery soon. I can't believe the mess everything is in at the moment. When the IMF started commenting I was a bit :open_mouth:. At least student loan is gone..

Finally bought a home
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    well done on the student loan going - what with the money back from that and your pay increase you will feel a bit more flush.

Hope you continue to feel great. 

I also earn a lot but I don't  actually feel like I do but thats cos I am saving away and putting all money into pots so I never see it..
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback