We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Topping Up Flavoured Oil

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to be on the spot when various oils and spice pastes were being drastically marked down and I bought 100ml of truffle oil.
The bottle says that it is extra virgin olive oil with black truffle shavings and the oil has been delicious in dressings but I'm getting down to my last few drops and am wondering if I can just top the bottle up again with really nice olive oil and leave it awhile to infuse again. 
It's got two or three shavings of black truffle in the bottom of the bottle and they all look okay through the glass and are still saturated in oil.
If so, how long do I leave it to infuse again before I can use it and could I top it up more than once do you think?
I'm thinking that I've everything to gain and only a small potential loss so perhaps I should just chance it, but then it might spoil 100mls of nice oil so can anyone give me the benefit of their experience? 




May No-Spend Days 3
May Grocery Challenge Spend £31.18/£186
May Baking Fund Spend £7.45/£24
May Bulk Buy Fund Spend £18.00/£100

Decluttering 100 items by the end of the month 0/100

Try being A Bit More Nellie

Comments

  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 18,808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 18 October 2020 at 10:06PM
    Sorry no experience but I'd certainly risk topping it up at least once and leaving it at least a couple of weeks or so before using. It's certainly worth a try! but maybe use a reasonable olive oil rather than a really good olive oil.


  • Not tried with truffle oil but I do the same with a chilli oil.  I have topped it up multiple times and it’s still going and packing a punch.    I am not dead yet so I would say this approach works 🌶
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    VeganLois said:
    Not tried with truffle oil but I do the same with a chilli oil.  I have topped it up multiple times and it’s still going and packing a punch.    I am not dead yet so I would say this approach works 🌶
    Thanks for that @joedenise and @VeganLois, especially appreciate the point of your not being dead yet.  :D 

    May No-Spend Days 3
    May Grocery Challenge Spend £31.18/£186
    May Baking Fund Spend £7.45/£24
    May Bulk Buy Fund Spend £18.00/£100

    Decluttering 100 items by the end of the month 0/100

    Try being A Bit More Nellie
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.