Forum Home» Campaigns Corner

Payment in full at time of booking for flights - needs banning

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Payment in full at time of booking for flights - needs banning

11 replies 231 views
finneybfinneyb Forumite
11 posts
Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
I purchased flight tickets 16 January 2020 for a flight 3 October 2020 - had to pay in full at time of booking, arguably an unfair contract condition..
6 August 2020 flight cancelled, 11 October still no refund and unlikely before the end of the year I am told.
 Therefore I have been providing finance for the airline to function since January and likely for the full year.
This has got to stop. I am not an airline financier and do not want to be. Legislation is needed to prevent the full price being charged on booking, a 10% non-refundable deposit should be adequate with the remainder paid 3 weeks before the flight.   
It is blatantly clear the airline industry can't be trusted to be reasonable, therefore legislation is required. 

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link to your campaign please OP .
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    finneyb said:

This has got to stop. I am not an airline financier and do not want to be. Legislation is needed to prevent the full price being charged on booking, a 10% non-refundable deposit should be adequate with the remainder paid 3 weeks before the flight.   
    It is blatantly clear the airline industry can't be trusted to be reasonable, therefore legislation is required. 

But can consumers be trusted?

What if lots of them decided not to pay the final 90% 3 weeks before departure - maybe because they simply decided they didn't want to go anymore?

It makes planning and costing very difficult, if you're not sure how many passengers you'll have until 3 weeks before departure.

• finneybfinneyb Forumite
    11 posts
    eddddy said:
    But can consumers be trusted?

What if lots of them decided not to pay the final 90% 3 weeks before departure - maybe because they simply decided they didn't want to go anymore?

It makes planning and costing very difficult, if you're not sure how many passengers you'll have until 3 weeks before departure.

Seems to work just fine in the package holiday market - a deposit is paid on purchase and the balance sometime before departure. 

• k12479k12479 Forumite
    503 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It can already be done. Just book, and pay for, your flight a day or two before you wish to travel.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    People want the cheapest option. Some airlines do offer flexible fares where you can pay later, but they are a much higher price.
    Up to you if you want to pay the extra.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    46.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you just do a chargeback on your card, if you've waited 9 weeks already? You've still got about 7 weeks before the 120 day cutoff point.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • edited 14 October at 10:38AM
    NaughtiusMaximusNaughtiusMaximus Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October at 10:38AM
    You're looking at this from the wrong angle. I see no problem in paying for a ticket in full at the time of booking, the issue here is refunds. If a flight is cancelled by the airline there should be legislation in place requiring refunds be paid promptly. 
  • edited 15 October at 11:59AM
    Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 October at 11:59AM
    I sort of agree with this. The whole Coronavirus escapade has shown how much of the travel industry has become used to forward charging. It shouldn’t be like that. The car industry is also hugely capital intensive, but they get by with a £500 deposit and the rest paid within a couple of days of collection. 

It isn’t fairly spread in the travel industry either. Foreign hotels may not get paid for weeks after the guest has been. 

Possibly more palatable to the industry would be a separate body holding money until departure. Similar to the deposit protection scheme for renting property. Then the money could be returned if needs be, but it would protect the holiday company from disinclination to travel. 
  • finneybfinneyb Forumite
    11 posts
    macman said:
    Why don't you just do a chargeback on your card, if you've waited 9 weeks already? You've still got about 7 weeks before the 120 day cutoff point.

Chargeback applied for -  8 weeks ago. Appears to be not worth the paper its written on.