Cabot settlement question

Options
Philip624
Philip624 Posts: 711 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 October 2020 at 9:26PM in Debt-free wannabe
I have received an offer from Cabot out of the blue to settle a credit card debt with a 60% discount. The offer is valid for 30 days and based on the figure as at the end of September. I can pay this reduced amount but not until payday at the end of October. I am paying £106 a month on this debt through Stepchange and I don’t really want to have make the standard mid October payment as well if you see what I mean. Should I reduce the debt to £0 on stepchange to stop the £106 payment going through as I will be settling it just 10 days after at the figure Cabot have offered.
I can offer no resistance, I can offer no respite
Wake me when conflict is over,
I aim for a peaceful life,
Wake me up when the fury is ended
I like living a peaceful life

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Your creditors will all be open to full & final settlement and some (including Cabot) may be persuaded to accept less than 40%.

How much debt do you  have and how much can you raise as a lump sum?

Have you done cca requests to all your consumer credit act debts?

• Philip624
    Options
    About 7k DMP due to end in September next year but this reduction would bring it to May. I can afford the reduced settlement offered but only after pay day which is within the 30 day limit but what I was querying was as the figure is based on what I owed before this months DMP payment it seems a waste to pay them effectively an additional £106 before that time.
  • Philip624
    Options
    I’m wondering if I set the Cabot debt to £0 that will stop the £106 for this month going there and it will be reallocated to the rest of the DMP and then by the time any automated letters from Cabot come through re no payment this month I can just tell them I will be accepting their offer and making payment on 30 October within the timeframe.
  • Philip624
    Options
    It worked, was even easier than that, as I contacted Cabot accepted the offer but told them they would not be getting a separate payment from Stepchange this month, meaning the £106 is instead reallocated across my other creditors. So pleased as the Cabot offer has knocked 4 months off my debt free date which is now May 2021, the end is in sight.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Make sure Cabot back this up in writing otherwise they may sell on the remainder of the debt, and you could have someone else chasing you for it, it happens all the time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback