Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

I think my local supermarket thinks I'm scamming them!

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

I think my local supermarket thinks I'm scamming them!

edited 17 October at 1:26PM in Shop but don't drop
20 replies 1.4K views
toshkininnytoshkininny Forumite
1.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 17 October at 1:26PM in Shop but don't drop
I dont think I am?!  Through my work I get discounts at certain places and get 4% off my local supermarket.  So if I put £100 on the supermarket's gift card, it only costs me £96.  So with this gift card I have been buying Amazon gift cards - I have spent a lot at Amazon recently and so have bought quite a lot of the gift cards from the supermarket, in effect I'm getting 4% off of Amazon.  Anyway, went to buy one today for someones birthday, none there, I asked one of the "colleagues" and was told the Manager has stopped selling them as someone has been buying alot of them and thinks there is a scam going on!  Since they know it's one person, they must know it's me and I feel really awkward now about shopping in there.  I've bought about £400 worth of Amazon voucher this year roughly, it can't be me they are referring to , can they?  !

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some SMs limit purchases of other items including gift cards with their gift cards
    Other items are often petrol & lottery but may include gift cards
    Check their T & Cs
  • BacmanBacman Forumite
    293 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Go to a different branch of the supermarket where they don't know you and buy buy buy!
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    893 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    £100 to get £4 off ? Is it worth it ?
  • Elmer_BeFuddledElmer_BeFuddled Forumite
    64 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    Yup, sure is. 4%!!
    I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.

I'm going to build a 1/3rd scale Steam Traction Engine. Now, that was my idea! Sod the kids inheritance!
  • ThenonameleagueThenonameleague Forumite
    71 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Contact the customer service team and ask if they could be available to buy again.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Andrea_jardinAndrea_jardin Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts
    £400 of Amazon vouchers doesn't seem excessive
  • edited 12 October at 6:55AM
    BacmanBacman Forumite
    293 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 12 October at 6:55AM
    Are people really that stupid to fall for such a scam? Really that stupid??
  • edited 12 October at 8:11AM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 October at 8:11AM
    Bacman said:
    Not really stupid - just vulnerable and frightened.  There have been reports of elderly people being told that an arrest warrant has been issued, and that they will be hauled off to prison if they don't pay their 'tax bill' now.....and that the quickest way is by Amazon (or similar) vouchers.
  • edited 12 October at 10:11AM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 October at 10:11AM
    Bacman said:
    Yes, and it isn't stupid people either as there are reports in the paper of office workers in senior positions and even a local councillor falling for it. The scam I am thinking of though is being asked by your boss or work colleague to hurriedly buy cards as they need them desperately and can't get away from a meeting to get them -.

It's a big scam now and realise on people blindly trusting the messages they get on social media , we've had a few mentions of it on boards on here. Look up the warning board I think it was, about 4 -6 weeks ago we had a couple of them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide