We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does Champagne go off/go out of date?

Hi all

Whilst tidying our kitchen we found 2 giant bottles of champagne that we received as wedding gifts 5 years ago. One is MOET and the other is an obscure French name. I know I have read that 200 year old wine is expensive because it ages better but I swear I read somewhere once that Champagne must be consumed relatively quickly. 
Any advice? 
Thanks. 

Comments

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,847 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Only one way to find out..... glasses at the ready !
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,470 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If it’s Vintage or Cuvee it might be ok, so check the label.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Brian_Pamo
    Brian_Pamo Posts: 124 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Does this help? 
  • CocoM2020
    CocoM2020 Posts: 253 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I know Prosecco doesn’t age well at all (drink within a year). I’d say champagne would be similar (maybe last a few more years). 
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,805 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Drink it and find out.
  • Brian_Pamo
    Brian_Pamo Posts: 124 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Will attempt to drink it soon then. Could it make us ill?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    No. If it's gone off it'll taste awful and you'll not drink it anyway. But if it tastes okay it shouldn't make anyone ill.  Not recommended to keep champagne longer than five years. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,285 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ooh I never knew that. I think we have a bottle MrM got given on his 21st and he's 43 now! lol
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 July 2026 £12195.90 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Champagne and and "trditional method" fizz are fine IF they are bottle conditioned (unlikely, most people moan at sediment) (from the bottle pics I doubt they are).

    However they do store better than stuff like modern method (Prosecco etc).

    Personally I like the Italian traditional method ones most (not prosecco). Buy hey even the under 2 euro cava in the spar in spain are much better than anything we pay 20 quid for.

    I miss holidays.


  • Hi
    I think one of the bottles isn't champagne but is Charlemagne, a sparkling perry / pear cider which is still very nice !
    No idea what it'll taste like after being stored so long but only one way to find out ! 
    Cheers 
    Jen
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.