Joint bank accounts

Options
I have made my BK appointment for monday. I have a joint account with my husband - it is a basic lloyds account and we do not owe them money. My questions are:
if I take my name off the account
will it still be frozen?
will i have to declare it?
I dont want to do anything wrong so all advice will be welcome

Thanks
Don't get strung out by the way I look,
Don't judge a book by it's cover

Comments

• meech78
    meech78 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    My advice is take your name off the account before going BR. As to whether or not you have to declare it, it depends if you are just a signatory on it or an account holder? If you are an account holder, then you have to declare it, if just a signatory on it, then not as you were added to the account that wasn't yours.

Hope that helos and good luck for your BR date!! See you on the other side!:j
  • devonsdreamer
    Options
    it is currently a joint account- but i will be taken off tomorrow so will no longer be on the account.
  • meech78
    Options
    were you added to the account or was it your partners in the first place?!!!!!
  • devonsdreamer
    Options
    we opened it together
  • meech78
    Options
    you need to let the or know when he calls you then, any way your partner can open another account before monday and get everything transferred by then?
  • devonsdreamer
    Options
    I spoke with debt line and they said if I am not on the account when I pettition for BK then I do not have to declare it. Thanks for your help
  • welshpaula
    Options
    meech78 wrote: »
    you need to let the or know when he calls you then, any way your partner can open another account before monday and get everything transferred by then?

take the above advice as it took ages for barclays to take my name off joint account and at one point they refused , this was well before my bankruptcy ! so it would be quicker and easier for your hubby to open new account paula x
  • meech78
    Options
    crikey, i had completely forgotten how long it took to get name off the account!! As long as you go into your branch, they should remove you by the end of next week but then that will be too late!?:confused:
  • devonsdreamer
    Options
    I have looked at my online banking and I am no longer abe to acess the account - I will go into branch tomorrow and to the cash point and see what happens.

Thank you for all your advice I really appricate it.
    Coming on here daily is what is keeping me calm atm!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family