Does Gov.uk /HMRC have it's own online self assessment software?

I have to self assess for 2019-2020 and heard you can do it directly on the gov website after registering as self employed / sole trader. 
Wanted to check this was possible and still exists,if so has anyone used it and how complicated is it / what should I expect?. Cant find much info on it at all,the amount I'm filing for is pretty small so seemed like it would be easier than using commercial software.
Any other advice appreciated. 

Comments

• Yes.

It doesn't allow every return combination but is fine for straightforward ones - employment, pensions self employment etc
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The process is quite straightforward, and the software works well enough, but the tax forms are still not user-friendly enough. You need to read the guidance, possibly talk to your accountant and possibly do some research on the internet to work out what information goes where. 

When you finally are able to press Submit you will receive a submission reference number which I always make a note of to prove that I submitted my return on time. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • bastionH
    bastionH Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2020 at 5:08PM
    Thanks for replies, I registered and got URT number a while back and just waiting on an another activation letter / number.
    Don't have an accountant since the amounts so small from last year,it was literally a couple of paid jobs. Will have to have a look on youtube and see if anyone shows the online forms and get my head around what to expect and I mostly how long it will take me to fill them in.
  • Presumably the "paid jobs" you're referring to are self employment?

If so what was the total income (not profit) you received for your business?
  • yes it's self employed,from home / just me. Total amounts to £6.000 roughly I think spread over the year. 
  • £6.000

Six pounds?  Or six thousand?
  • Six thousand
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 September 2020 at 5:19PM
    First time round it might take you 15-20 minutes.

The important bit is ensuring you have tailored the return to your circumstances i.e. set up the correct sections to complete, employment, self employment etc.

If you have very low expenses then read up on the trading allowance as it may be more beneficial to claim this instead of your actual business expenses.

• That's good to know,I had this weekend set aside to do it then got stopped at step 1 with activation code needed to be sent out but it's good to hear it wont take too long to do and if I'm setting aside a day or two I have plenty of time to read through it proper.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback