Change of role at work post furlough

Options
Hi everyone.

I'd be grateful for any advice regarding this. I was placed on furlough from June until the end of August. During this period the company I worked for planned to make some redundancies. I received a notification that my job was at risk. Eventually after a period of assessment I then was told that I was no longer at risk and then started back at work in the office at the beginning of September. This week I have been told that the company would like me step down from my position into a new role as an assistant to my current position. With a hefty pay cut. Now that is a bit of a shock as I was under the impression that I was doing my job quite well.  If I was given any indication beforehand like maybe some meetings regarding my work or any sort of formal warnings or chats with management or HR then this wouldn't be as much of a surprise but i'm quite disappointed. I did ask if it was a reflection of my work and basically what I did wrong, but was told my work was good but it's a company decision. 

I just wanted to ask what my options here were. They have yet to put anything in writing to me however it was implied that I take the demotion and pay cut or there isn't a place for me and I would likely be made redundant. I've been there for 16 months and I wouldn't be entitled to any redundancy packages. Unfortunately the suggested pay decrease is  very dramatic for my outgoings. I could look to move to another company however to put it bluntly, I'm trying for a baby with my husband so would really like to stay and have the option of maternity pay. My gut is telling me to just deal with it and take the demotion because at least I'll still have a job and look for something else in a few years. 

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    With under two years employment they could just get rid of you. Have you told anyone at work that you are trying to get pregnant?
    Many employers are having to tighten their belts at this time so they might be trying to save money knowing that you would possibly continue with wworking as you do though on lower  salary.
    You might be better off getting a new job and putting baby plans on hold until you are two years in post
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2020 at 1:20PM
    Options
    Steph2809 said:

I just wanted to ask what my options here were. They have yet to put anything in writing to me however it was implied that I take the demotion and pay cut or there isn't a place for me and I would likely be made redundant. I've been there for 16 months and I wouldn't be entitled to any redundancy packages. Unfortunately the suggested pay decrease is  very dramatic for my outgoings. I could look to move to another company however to put it bluntly, I'm trying for a baby with my husband so would really like to stay and have the option of maternity pay. My gut is telling me to just deal with it and take the demotion because at least I'll still have a job and look for something else in a few years. 
    Options, given you have under two years of employment with them:
    1. take the offered role and associated pay cut
    2. refuse and see what they do 
    3. resign.
    3. is pretty pointless - akin to throwing your toys out of the pram, unless of course you can find another job to go to. 

1. might be no bad idea, especially if you hope to become pregnant in the near(ish) future.

2. likely to dismiss you, so hard to see why this is a good option.

Out of interest, have they already got someone lined up to do your old job?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback