New Post Advanced Search

Alternative to dry clean only

7 replies 141 views
vwhqjvwhqj Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
First time buying suit & pants and didn't check labels.
It's from Next and made from 60% Polyester, 30% Wool and 10% Viscose.
Says 'Professional Dry Clean Only' but can I machine wash it or handwash it?

Replies

• edited 13 September at 8:09PM
    Highland76Highland76 Forumite
    498 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 13 September at 8:09PM
    Not sure which bit of 'Professional Dry Clean Only' you don't understand?
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wash practically everything I own that says dry clean only - with viscose in it I would probably hand wash at first and definitely not tumble dry.  Depends on how expensive and how risk averse you are - I can only remember two things I wrecked and they both came from charity shops.  A lot of the time dry clean only simply means the manufacturer wants a get out from being held responsible if home washing doesn't work not that it is actually the best way.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure which bit of 'Professional Dry Clean Only' you don't understand?

I've machine washed - on delicates/silk - many items of clothing that says 'professional dry clean only' with great results.
    I'm sure if the OP posted on the Old Style board, she would get many replies confirming what I've said.

• KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be handwashing for staters, spin in washing machine and leave to dry naturally. If that works then you can probably use the wool/delicates programme.

I agree the 'dry clean' statement is a bit of a get out clause- but then some folk stick everything in the machine on a relatively hot wash and wonder why the clothes look like rags!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• Ms_Mop_123Ms_Mop_123 Forumite
    68 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    I once read that clothes manufacturers dont trust people to follow washing instructions properly,  so they put dry clean only labels on. 
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would normally wash a jumper or dress which say dry clean only. However, I wouldn't hand wash a suit because of the interfacing in the collar and lapels. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • helensbiggestfanhelensbiggestfan Forumite
    749 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I would normally wash a jumper or dress which say dry clean only. However, I wouldn't hand wash a suit because of the interfacing in the collar and lapels. 
    As above.   I think most things are pretty safe if you hand wash them and dry naturally.  However I think tailored garments with stiffenings, shoulder pads, interfacing etc are best dry cleaned.