New Post Advanced Search

Scale and Polish

5 replies 151 views
I had a scale and polish last week for the first time in a couple of years. The hygienist was very pleased and said there was hardly any plaque and did a quick scrape and that was that. It was only later I realised that I’ve never had a polish at this dentist. Is this normal practice. The price has also increased from £65 to £95 since I last went. 

Replies

• UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if you let your teeth get into a right state you would get better value for money! Probably not to be recommended!

Joking apart, I suppose the real questions are whether the polish bit should have been done (unless judged to be damaging) for purely cosmetic reasons? Or, was the hygienist visit necessary at all? Did you just book it or did the dentist tell you to?
  • GersGers Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Friday I had ongoing root canal treatment followed by the hygienist. She told me that she wasn't allowed to use the polish machine still. 

• Old_Grey_MareOld_Grey_Mare Forumite
    71 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    So if you let your teeth get into a right state you would get better value for money! Probably not to be recommended!

Joking apart, I suppose the real questions are whether the polish bit should have been done (unless judged to be damaging) for purely cosmetic reasons? Or, was the hygienist visit necessary at all? Did you just book it or did the dentist tell you to?
    I’m pleased my teeth are deemed good enough not to need a polish. I was reading up on it last night and a polish apparently is not just to give my teeth a shine like a buffed up coffee table but to remove any invisible plaque and remove slight surface imperfections. It was the dentist who contacted me. Still I know now I probably only need to see the hygienist every few years so it will save me money.
  • Old_Grey_MareOld_Grey_Mare Forumite
    71 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Gers said:
    On Friday I had ongoing root canal treatment followed by the hygienist. She told me that she wasn't allowed to use the polish machine still. 

Thank you. I wondered whether this was the case.
  • ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    525 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I had a scale and polish last week for the first time in a couple of years. The hygienist was very pleased and said there was hardly any plaque and did a quick scrape and that was that. It was only later I realised that I’ve never had a polish at this dentist. Is this normal practice. The price has also increased from £65 to £95 since I last went. 
    Anyone that tries to get an appointment is told emergencies only, so you should be grateful it has been done, I am assuming its private.
    When my teeth were last cleaned it cost around £40, NHS, which I could get an appointment now.