New Post Advanced Search

Costco worth it?

24 replies 703 views
Hi All,
Thinking of signing up to Costco through a work scheme where I get a £10 voucher off a £28 sign up, making the membership effectively £18 for the year. I'm only after one of their hot buy products which has a huge saving. Not sure how much I'll use after signing up. Just wanted to get thoughts from people who shop at Costco whether it's really worth it and they save money shopping there compared to normal supermarket offers? I've seen other threads on here but they're all a few years old...times/prices have changed since so I'm after some feedback from people who are using it now. I know they have big bulky packs and I do have space to store, and I'm thinking of sharing what I buy with my wider family.  Thoughts/feedback welcome.

Replies

• ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The petrol is cheaper than anywhere else. The multipacks if toilet roll are great value and the food court is great too. I love Costco however you will spend lots of money there if you’re not careful. 
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
  • wolfehousewolfehouse Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    They will refund your membership fees at any time if you are not satisfied. (See their terms and conditions)

• clive0510clive0510 Forumite
    317 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    shame they dont do home delivery.
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    They do home delivery from their website. Anyone can purchase but You get a discount if you are a member but the prices are different if you buy from the web.
  • clive0510clive0510 Forumite
    317 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    They do home delivery from their website. Anyone can purchase but You get a discount if you are a member but the prices are different if you buy from the web.
    ok. didnt realise that. I'll have a look. nothing ventured nothing gained.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    ps124 said:
    Hi All,
    Thinking of signing up to Costco through a work scheme where I get a £10 voucher off a £28 sign up, making the membership effectively £18 for the year. I'm only after one of their hot buy products which has a huge saving. Not sure how much I'll use after signing up. 
    If its just a single purchase you want, might there be someone at work that is already a member and can buy on your behalf?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
  • ps124ps124 Forumite
    135 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ps124 said:
    Hi All,
    Thinking of signing up to Costco through a work scheme where I get a £10 voucher off a £28 sign up, making the membership effectively £18 for the year. I'm only after one of their hot buy products which has a huge saving. Not sure how much I'll use after signing up. 
    If its just a single purchase you want, might there be someone at work that is already a member and can buy on your behalf?
    Tried already...I've asked around the people that I work with and no one I work with/talk to daily seems to be a member.
  • ps124ps124 Forumite
    135 posts
    So can I purchase without being a member?
  • ps124ps124 Forumite
    135 posts
    They will refund your membership fees at any time if you are not satisfied. (See their terms and conditions)

That's interesting. If I feel the savings aren't worthwhile...is that an valid reason to ask for a refund of the membership?

Thing is I don't mind paying the membership fee, if I save money throughout the year. Otherwise, the single item that I want to buy, might as well have got it from elsewhere then go through this hassle and it kind of makes the 'deal' less appealing.
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify for you ps124, 
    anyone can buy off the website but you will pay more if you are not a member.
    any excuse at all will do and they will refund you your membership fee.
    costco are very good when it comes to refunds.  I’ve never had any arguments from them even if the item was well used.
    personally I joined for the tyres, not because they were cheaper but because their service was superior. I stayed because there are Some items I can’t get elsewhere and some of the ‘deals’ are good.  They do not always have the cheapest price, but I know I can get a refund with no problem.  (And I used to get my fee back in the free tastings they did pre covid, the cheap cafe, and loss leaders like their rotisserie chicken)