NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

New Nvidia 3000 series cards.

So just watched the launch of the Nvidia 3070,3080 and 3090 graphics cards. Absolute game changer and they're back down to being affordable. The 3070 will be faster than a 2080 TI but the RRP is going to be $499. As many have said on Youtube videos I bet there's a lot of people who've recently bought 2080 TI's that are going to be a bit upset, given that here in the UK you can't even find one below £1000. The 3080 is going to be at least twice as fast as a 2080 TI for $799 and the 3090 priced at $1400 will outperform the current Titan RTXs that cost £2500. 3080 available end September, 3070 end October.
As was pointed out, Nvidia don't consider AMD to be their competition now, well not directly, they now consider the competition to be the PS5 and Xbox Series X, both of which can do 4K 60FPS with Ray Tracing.
As someone who is still rocking a 6GB GTX1060 upgrading to a 3070 will make one hell of a difference.

Replies

• SpankSpank Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    As many have said on Youtube videos I bet there's a lot of people who've recently bought 2080 TI's that are going to be a bit upset.
    Some will be, most will just enjoy the card they have.
    The 3080 is going to be at least twice as fast as a 2080 TI for $799 
    Maybe in some games, but don't believe the marketing wait for the reviews

I am grateful that they have come down in price, but my 1080ti is still rocking & I have no plans to upgrade until I have to start playing games on low settings (raytracing (&HDR) doesn't float my boat tbh) 
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not sure I'd say they're more affordable given the prices keep climbing each generation, the 970's were around the £250 mark, the 1070's had a big jump up to £400, the 2070's up to £450 and now the 3070s are around the same.  Of more concern is the climb in power with the 2080TI at 250W, the 3080 at 320W and the 3090 at 350W and while the power itself doesn't bother me the extra heat they're going to be kicking out will do.

In terms of the performance gains I'm keen to see how performance is outwith ray tracing since that's going to be the bulk of games at the moment.  I don't consider the consoles competition for PCs since they measure performance so differently which means a large difference in image quality, for consoles '4K' simply means the resolution regardless of how much upscaling and other corners are cut with image quality whereas for a PC 4K means not just running at that resolution but it must be doing it natively with all graphics options turned up.  

I would desperately like to see AMD competing in the graphics market since you only need to look at what they've done with the Ryzen 3000 series to quickly improve the CPU market by not just giving Intel competition but handily beating them on every metric apart from absolute single core performance.  Looking at the 5700 series cards though I don't have much faith in AMD at the moment especially on top of the fact they've struggled with big cards previously.

I'm still on an ageing 1070 which is overdue an upgrade so waiting to see the benchmarks on the 3070 and 3080 to see which is the better buy.
  • PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've never really considered an upgrade from my existing GTX1080 all that compelling to be honest with only the 2000 series cards to chose from but these new cards are going to change my mind I think. Will be interesting to how the reviews fair on release and how developers take advantage of this kind of hardware
  • Spank said:

The 3080 is going to be at least twice as fast as a 2080 TI for $799 
    Maybe in some games, but don't believe the marketing wait for the reviews

Digital Foundry managed to get hold of a 3080 and do a review of it which they posted on Youtube a few days ago and it is indeed as fast as was claimed.

• Johnmcl7 said:
    I would desperately like to see AMD competing in the graphics market since you only need to look at what they've done with the Ryzen 3000 series to quickly improve the CPU market by not just giving Intel competition but handily beating them on every metric apart from absolute single core performance. 
    AMD are due to announce 4000 series Ryzen and Big Navi graphics cards in the next few weeks.

• ValerieMeshkoValerieMeshko Forumite
    12 Posts
    10 Posts
    Hello I am interested in mining, how suitable this video card for mining cryptocurrency?
  • duggan1duggan1 Forumite
    503 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Hello I am interested in mining, how suitable this video card for mining cryptocurrency?
    Top rated card (3090) will probably net you £6 a day based on average electricity price.