🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Student Loan Payment Terms

Options
CLarner
CLarner Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Due to the recent threshold change it has transpired that I will now have to start paying my pre-1998 mortgage style student loan back.

My 25 year loan write off is very imminent (Oct 2022) and I wondered if anyone could advise what will happen when I start paying this loan back - i.e. if it will negate the write off of the outstanding loan after 25 years or if the outstanding loan will still be written off at this 25 year anniversary regardless of if I have paid some of the loan back? I'm unsure if when you start to pay it back you are then liable to pay in full or if it was a fixed term loan with a finite life that will expire after 25 years?

Having never earned anywhere near enough to meet the threshold previously I honestly don't know how paying some of the loan back affects terms so would be really grateful if someone could clarify for me?

Many thanks in advance. 

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family