🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Retiring at 62

Options
I intend to retire next month at the age of 61 ( will be 62 Feb 2021) .I have my state pension forcast of £164.16 per week as of April 2020.Made up from 46 year Full contributions
I do not intend to work again and I would like to keep contributing to my state pension to achive the £175.20 per week max.in 2024.
I have heard that i could " sign on" for job seeker allowance and that my contributions would then be paid for me.
As I say I have no intention of working again and belive that no benifit will be paid to me as I have a personal pension income of over £500 per month which I belive bars me from recieving job seekes allowance.
Any thoughts welcome .Thank you
Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.

Comments

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 August 2020 at 11:35AM
    Options
    You will not be eligible to claim for jobseekers allowance as you are not seeking a job.
    Presumably you need an additional 2 years of contributions to receive a full state pension. You will need to purchase these if you are not working. They still represent excellent value for money whereby you recoup your investment outlay in around 3 years, so if you plan on living past 70 it's an easy decision to make. Alternatively, if you require that additional £11 per week of state pension and can not afford to purchase it, you may want to reconsider your decision to retire early and work on another two years.

• thebullsback
    Options
    IMy pension statment says I need to contribute 4 more years (from April 2020) to achive max pension
    Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 August 2020 at 12:01PM
    Options
    You need to be clearer as to precisely what your forecast shows as the amounts you have quoted do not add up.  Using the first number you have 4 years, including 20-21, left in which you can contribute (20-21,21-22,22-23,23-24) but only need 3 to get the full amount but the 3rd will only give you £1.04, 1/5th of a year value, so may not be worth worrying about if you have to come up with hard cash to get. This year may already be full.
  • thebullsback
    Options
    Estimate based on NI  contributions record up to 5April 2020 £164.16 per week
    Forcast if you contribute another 3 years before  5April 2024  £175.20 per week
    £175.20 is the max i can get
    my NI record
    46 year full contributions
    straight from my pension statment
  • molerat
    edited 29 August 2020 at 12:10PM
    Options
    So it is as I have posted above. You will only need to buy one full year,plus maybe a part year for 20-21, to get £174.17 ish.
  • garmeg
    garmeg Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    molerat said:
    So it is as I have posted above. You will only need to buy one full year,plus maybe a part year for 20-21, to get £174.17 ish.
    Think you meant part year 21-22 here? The full year to which you refer may be 20-21?
  • molerat
    Options
    garmeg said:
    molerat said:
    Think you meant part year 21-22 here? The full year to which you refer may be 20-21?
    No, the current 20-21 year as, depending on earnings, it may not be full after leaving work next month.

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 August 2020 at 2:24PM
    Options
    IMy pension statment says I need to contribute 4 more years (from April 2020) to achive max pension
    Just to clarify how molerat arrived at his figures, each additional year gets you 1/35th of the full state pension (plus any inflationary increase) until you hit the maximum.
    So ignoring inflation for the moment, an additional year will give you an extra £175.20/35 = £5.00 per week. So two more years conts would get you an extra £10/week, up to £174.16 at which point it's probably not worth worrying about the extra £1. So you need 3 more years for full state pension, but 2 more years gets you within touching distance and the third year probably isn't worth the purchase price as it would take you ~14 years of drawing your state pension to break even.

• EP456
    EP456 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 August 2020 at 2:27PM
    Options
    What is the procedure for purchasing additional years after stopping work?  Thanks
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just wrote to the future pension centre asking for an explanation of why some of my years were part.  They were very efficient and the letter include full instructions for payment and timelines by which it needed to be done
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills