Debt Help Question?

Options
Hi all.

I have around £1000 (I know it’s not a lot to some people but is to me.) of debt with various store cards. Each month I only just manage the minimum payment. Then throughout the month the interest goes up and I don’t really see any movement on the total going down. 

What would be the best course of action for this? I’m thinking a credit card of some type with low interest to pay off the store cards and then just pay the new card off?

thanks for any help. 

Comments

• TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cut back to the fullest on all other expenditure and get it paid off asap.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Debt problems are rarely solved by more borrowing.  You have to pay more than minimum to get anywhere with the store cards.  Can you get any 0% cards?  If you can get a money transfer card then you could use that to clear it but you must then close the cards down as otherwise you are likely to make the situation worse.  The ideal way of getting rid of it is to cut back.  What is your income? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all.
    I have around £1000 (I know it’s not a lot to some people but is to me.) of debt with various store cards. Each month I only just manage the minimum payment. Then throughout the month the interest goes up and I don’t really see any movement on the total going down. 
    What would be the best course of action for this? I’m thinking a credit card of some type with low interest to pay off the store cards and then just pay the new card off?
    thanks for any help. 
    The best course of action would be to cut your outgoings, increase your income, and pay it down as quickly as possible.
    Have you anything that you can sell, to out towards it; do you drink alcohol, smoke, or eat out,,or have takeaway meals? These are all things that you can cut back or stop for a few months until you get it cleared.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback