Super Off Peak Rail Tickets

Is there a clear/easy way to find out which services are valid for the return journey on a super off peak ticket?
The trainline website says it varies depending on route/operator, and putting in journey details doesn't really make it obvious to me.
I'm going from Manchester or Stockport to Norwich on a weekday.

Comments

• You should always buy tickets via your train company website rather than Trainline who add extra charges for the privilege. Most train company sites will clearly highlight which specific trains are valid for the ticket type you have chosen. Once you have your ticket in your hand you can check the validity code printed on the ticket (two letters) on the National Rail site which will explain any restrictions.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    grahamgoo said:
    Is there a clear/easy way to find out which services are valid for the return journey on a super off peak ticket?
    The trainline website says it varies depending on route/operator, and putting in journey details doesn't really make it obvious to me.
    I'm going from Manchester or Stockport to Norwich on a weekday.

Outward journey:

Not valid on any train timed to depart:

after 04:29 and before 09:30 or
    after 16:00 and before 18:00. 

Return journey:
    Not valid on any train timed to depart:
    after 04:29 and before 09:30. 

You should always buy tickets via your train company website rather than Trainline who add extra charges for the privilege. Most train company sites will clearly highlight which specific trains are valid for the ticket type you have chosen. Once you have your ticket in your hand you can check the validity code printed on the ticket (two letters) on the National Rail site which will explain any restrictions.
    Trainline don't charge a fee if you buy tickets on the day (just after midnight will suffice)

But train company sites don't necessarily charge the cheapest prices, and don't always let you choose your specific seat (on reserveable trains)

There are third party sites that offer a cheaper combination of fares (known as "split ticketing") and will issue all tickets as one single PDF (making it just as easy as buying a through ticket) and let you pick the seat of your choice (where available)

• grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thankyou both, very helpful I am now clear on this.  Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback