Student finance

Options
hi, im 36 and looking to change career. 
I have been an animal keeper for 11 years and before that I was a hairdresser. 
I've decided I'd like to become a dog groomer! 
The course I want to do is a city and guilds and is about 25 days long. The course is around £4000. 
Because its not a uni or college course and is short it seems im not entitled to any help. 
If anyone has had this problem and found help please let me know. 
I also would like to know if if I fund myself what is the best loan type to try to get? (My credit isn't great) .
Im currently furloughed but work part time. Hubby works full and we have a 10 year old. 
Please Help. Xxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What level is the course? 
  • M21
    M21 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its a Level 3 city and guilds
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    M21 said:
    The course I want to do is a city and guilds and is about 25 days long. The course is around £4000. 
    Because its not a uni or college course and is short it seems im not entitled to any help. 
    I also would like to know if if I fund myself what is the best loan type to try to get? (My credit isn't great) .
    Im currently furloughed but work part time. Hubby works full and we have a 10 year old. 
    Please Help. Xxx
    That's an enormously expensive course. Out of curiosity I googled on dog grooming courses and this popped up: https://www.thecoursemix.co.uk/dog-grooming-courses/?ref=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgqD1osuz6wIVCbTtCh3rggvVEAAYAiAAEgI9c_D_BwE

£14 sounds a rather cheaper option, although I recognise it won't get you the C&G qualification you would like. Would a possible work round be to do this online course (or something similar), given how cheap it is, and then use that as a basis for trying to drum up some custom which would in turn fund further training?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Marcon said:
    M21 said:
    Please Help. Xxx
    That's an enormously expensive course. Out of curiosity I googled on dog grooming courses and this popped up: https://www.thecoursemix.co.uk/dog-grooming-courses/?ref=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgqD1osuz6wIVCbTtCh3rggvVEAAYAiAAEgI9c_D_BwE

£14 sounds a rather cheaper option, although I recognise it won't get you the C&G qualification you would like. Would a possible work round be to do this online course (or something similar), given how cheap it is, and then use that as a basis for trying to drum up some custom which would in turn fund further training?
    Surely to be a professional dog groomer you have to spend more than £14?

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    £800 per week Is excessive unless it is 1-2-1 tuition for the entire period.  Obtaining sufficient training in 5 weeks for anybody to be fully competent in dog grooming also seems optimistic in the extreme.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JReacher1 said:
    Marcon said:
    M21 said:
    Please Help. Xxx

Surely to be a professional dog groomer you have to spend more than £14?

You don't even need to spend £14; anyone can set up as a professional dog groomer, if you define 'professional' as 'paid'.

OP, have you looked at https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/dog-groomer, particularly the link on funding?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    M21 said:
    its a Level 3 city and guilds
    You could get an advanced learner loan if your training provider accepts them. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback