How long for New style Job seekers allowance

I applied for the new style Job Seekers Allowance on 4th August. I’ve had an email confirming receipt of my application but haven’t heard anything else. Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before I get a decision? Sorry have never applied for this before. 

Comments

• Think it’s taking up to 4 weeks so I’d be waiting until early Sept before you start worrying too much. 
  • gwapoman
    gwapoman Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    karenline said:
    I applied for the new style Job Seekers Allowance on 4th August. I’ve had an email confirming receipt of my application but haven’t heard anything else. Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before I get a decision? Sorry have never applied for this before. 

Same situation here i was made redundant after 32 years on Aug 14 so the next day i applied for NEW JSA had the email telling me to expect a call which i am a little apprehensive about .
    Suspect there very very busy .

• Received a letter today saying I won’t get it ☹️ It’s based on National Insurance contributions for the years ending 5 April 2018 and 5 April 2019 and I was self employed in the first of those years. I phoned and asked why they don’t look at the year ending 5 April 2020 and they said they don’t have that information until January or February next year. The letter was dated 10 days after my claim. I’m 53, nearly 54 and it’s the first time I’ve ever been unemployed. Made redundant due to Covid.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know, but if you didn't pay NI contributions when you were self-employed, can you make those contributions up now? They possibly won't count towards JSA: I did it to be able to claim Maternity Allowance. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 August 2020 at 7:16PM
    If you can’t get NS JSA than dependant on your savings situation you will be able to apply for universal credit instead. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback