Rate per hour plus holiday pay? What do get paid?

Options
Iv recently been accepted into a new job as a teaching assistant at a further education college and I’m trying to get my head around the pay.

When I asked about pay I got an email back saying it was “£8.72 + £1.05 holiday pay = £9.77”. It’s through an agency and Iv just looked through the time sheets they’ve given me for the next year and the hours go through at £8.72 per hour. I’m confused as to where the £1.05 comes in and how this gets paid?

The email to me suggests it’s added on to the the £8.72 making it £9.77 per hour? However looking at the time sheets i will only get paid £8.72 ph?

im completely new to education and this way of getting paid so I guess my question is what will I be paid per hour and where does the statutory holiday pay come in? 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sometimes employers process the holiday pay element separate. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Because you won't be allowed / expected to take any paid holiday during your working weeks, it's likely that your payslip will have something like: 
    16 hours @ £8.72 ph = (can't be bothered to get my calculator out)
    16 hours holiday pay @ £1.05 ph = (ditto)

It would be unlawful to pay you 16 hours @ £9.77, but that is what you should be paid per hour. 

DH invigilates, and the hours are completely random, so that's how it's done for him too. 

There are alternative ways of doing this: when I was running a term-time after school club, at the end of each term I would just calculate how many hours each person had worked, and pay them their holiday pay. The other way is that when you want some holiday pay, you have the tell the agency. I think that's messy and it certainly sometimes leads to confusion. So if it's not the way I first described it, ASK the agency how it works. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure