We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Are P2P bad debts deducted when calculating tax?

I applied to HMRC for a tax refund for 2019-20 and detailed savings/investment income of £1152. This was made up of £1440 along with a negative of £288 from Funding Circle comprising £37 interest less £325 bad debts. Today I received a P800 showing untaxed interest of £1440, ie the bad debts were only deducted to the amount of the £37 interest. Is that correct? I thought P2P bad debts were fully taken into account when calculating tax.
«1

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Capital losses cannot be offset against income. 
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,160
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    "Peer to peer (P2P) tax relief for irrecoverable P2P loans can only be set against interest received by the lender on other P2P loans. It cannot be used against any other form of income.". Thanks.


  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,160
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2020 at 10:55PM

    More confusion on the P800 because it looks like HMRC are over-repaying me. I am showing their format below with simplified numbers (but I can post mine if it helps). My aim was to pay enough into my SIPP to reclaim all the 40% tax.

    If my income is £60,000 and I have a personal allowance of £12,500, I pay 20% tax on £37,500 and 40% on £10,000, a total of £11,500. Since I pay £4,000 in higher rate tax I make a net SIPP contribution of £8000 which is £10,000 gross. I therefore expect to receive a refund of £2,000, the element of the 40% tax which is not claimed from HMRC by my SIPP provider. But this is how the P800 calculates it.

    Taxable income £60,000

    Deduction (gross SIPP contribution) £10,000

    Income less total deductions £50,000

    Personal allowance £12,500

    Total taxable income £37,500

    Basic rate tax at 20% on £37,500 = £7500

    Tax you’ve already paid £11,500

    HMRC owes you £4000.

    So I’m getting a refund of twice the amount I expected. Where am I going wrong please?


  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2020 at 11:06PM
    What is the £10,000 deduction actually called?

    I don't recollect HMRC using SIPP contribution as a description before and a relief at source pension contribution doesn't (shouldn't) reduce the taxable income that gets taxed.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,160
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2020 at 11:20PM
    On the P800 it is surprisingly called Retirement Annuity Payment.

    In the previous year they did it a different way, increasing the amount on which I paid basic rate tax.
  • They have made a mistake.

    Retirement annuity payments are old pension schemes where no tax relief is allowed at source hence they work a bit like the Personal Allowance when if comes to relief.

    The correct method is as you have described, to increase the basic rate band.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 4,160
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They have made a mistake.

    Retirement annuity payments are old pension schemes where no tax relief is allowed at source hence they work a bit like the Personal Allowance when if comes to relief.

    The correct method is as you have described, to increase the basic rate band.
    Thanks. So naturslly I should phone and tell them there is a mistake. But if I don't, is it likely/certain they will pick it up in future, and do I risk anything except having to repay £2000 at a later date?
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,727
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They have made a mistake.

    Retirement annuity payments are old pension schemes where no tax relief is allowed at source hence they work a bit like the Personal Allowance when if comes to relief.

    The correct method is as you have described, to increase the basic rate band.
    Thanks. So naturslly I should phone and tell them there is a mistake. But if I don't, is it likely/certain they will pick it up in future, and do I risk anything except having to repay £2000 at a later date?
    Given you are aware of it it’s technically tax evasion 

    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1970/9/section/106A
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,813
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I thought it was simply an offence under the Theft Act 1968 when you keep a repayment you are not entitled to:
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/enacted?view=plain
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.