Eczema: To moisten, or not?

I developed eczema a few years ago on my shoulder blade, which recently has come back with a vengeance.  I have an emollient cream that I put on several times a day.  Should I lightly dampen the area first before I put the cream on?  Or am I making it worse by doing so?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.
Think first of your goal, then make it happen!

Replies

• KxMxKxMx Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I always just put the cream on. 
    If it's particularly bad I use E45 which can be used as frequently as needed, sometimes I apply several times an hour, and don't stop until the pain/itchiness is bearable. 
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I slap it on whenever and however I think is going to work at that moment.
    At this time of the year I keep a pump dispenser in the door of the fridge for instance.
    Dampening might or might not work for you some of the time/all of the time so I would say give it a go to see how it feels and then you'll probably have another way of fighting down your itchy demons, maybe.

Scallops
    . A host of legends surround this, one of the loveliest of seafoods, except when overcooked. My favourite true story concerns the young lady scallop preparation worker, interviewed by the 'New Yorker' Magazine. When asked for her honest opinion of the shellfish she said "They don't have much personality".
    From Patrick Anthony's International MENU Dictionary.
  • barnstar2077barnstar2077 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    KxMx said:
    If it's particularly bad I use E45 which can be used as frequently as needed, sometimes I apply several times an hour, and don't stop until the pain/itchiness is bearable. 
    Is that the normal e45 cream, or the eczema one please? 
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It depends on the cream - some don't seem to sink in if it's damp, but others do better.

The best time for me is just after a shower or just after washing hands, after drying but straight away so the skin's not dried out yet. Obviously that's not your scenario (you can't do that for your shoulder blade several times a day!) but maybe dampening long enough to hydrate it, then when it's dried or almost dry, put the cream on, and see how that goes.

Ultimately it'll be down to what works best for you.
  • amandacatamandacat Forumite
    572 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I used to get it really badly around my nose, the GP recommended ultrabase cream and I applied it to my skin while it was dry.  Cleared it right up. 
  • anna42hmranna42hmr Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    In addition to creams mentioned above, i also find that using Balneum Plus bath oil can work wonders, can be picked up in chemists and i have found is great to use, just beware it makes the bath really slippy. 

MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 /2023 Target £2500 OP YTD £497.90 OP as at February Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £31,390.72
  • greensaladgreensalad Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd get to the GP and ask for hydrocortisone. It clears up my eczema in just a few days of application and it doesn't come back super quickly either.
  • DPR87DPR87 Forumite
    51 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd get to the GP and ask for hydrocortisone. It clears up my eczema in just a few days of application and it doesn't come back super quickly either.
    Can also be brought over the counter if to be used on a small area. Use it for a week. 
    I've always found diprobase better than E45. 
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    KxMx said:
    Is that the normal e45 cream, or the eczema one please? 
    I use the normal e45 cream. 
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    But it can cause scarring and skin thinning if used too regularly and for too long - I'm unfortunately afflicted by some patches of scarring on my arms after using hydrocortisone on eczema. 

I personally find diprobase and E45 overly sticky, thick and heavy (and they seem to make the skin "sweat", which makes the eczema worse for me). I prefer the neutrogena norwegian formula cream you get in a tub with a blue lid, much more hydrating and seems to soak in and help with the healing, rather than just coating the eczema.