PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken breast question

Si_Clist
Si_Clist Posts: 1,464 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 8 August 2020 at 5:42PM in Old style MoneySaving
This is outside my usual territory in the kitchen, so I need some advice please.  I have discovered a bag containing five skinless chicken breasts lurking in the freezer.  I froze them a couple of weeks ago (having bought them chilled) without planning ahead, but in order to make the best use of them, I now want to thaw all five (they're stuck together), use two for a stew and cook the other three to eat the following day.  What's the simplest way for me to cook those three please, given that I only have a hob and an oven to play with?  All I want to end up with is plain and simple cold cooked chicken breast to go in a salad and a couple of sandwiches.

A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Put the 3 in the oven at 180 degrees until cooked.  They will reduce to nothing unless you can wrap some bacon around them.  Otherwise, defrost, slice, then pan fry until cooked.  Leave to cool - sorted!
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    JGB1955 said:
    Put the 3 in the oven at 180 degrees until cooked.  They will reduce to nothing unless you can wrap some bacon around them. 
    I always just cover the tin/dish with foil or a lid - works just fine.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 August 2020 at 5:37PM
    If you want them whole, cut them horizontally (as if you were slicing a bread roll), open them out , place a sheet of greaseproof paper over them then thump them with a rolling pin until evenly flat but not too thin. Fry them in a frying pan (or griddle them, if you have a griddle) for about 5 minutes per side or until done but not overcooked then leave them to cool.You can also oven-bake them but it's more fuel-efficient on the hob unless you have the oven on anyway.

If you're not too fussed about aesthetics, cut them into strips and fry them for about 5-10 minutes then cool as before. 
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you just want it for sandwiches or salad you could poach them which is quick and easy and will keep them moist
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thank you very much, folks.  That's me sorted! :)
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback