PRA admitted debt is unenforceable next step?

Options
Hi I have lots of debts I am trying to sort but if its ok have a few more specific questions one of which is this.
I was recently in contact with PRA group to settle a much smaller debt at the same time they stated the following to me via email

"

Currently your account reference xxxxxxxxxx is classified as unenforceable, which means we are not able to take legal action to recover the balance.The debt is still legally owed and we will continue to contact you & report to the CRAs (where appropriate).It is possible for your account to become enforceable in future,if we receive the appropriate paperwork from the original creditor ' we will make you aware if this becomes the case."

The original debt was barclaycard approx 2000 , last payment I made was 2016 sometime.

What is the best way for me to deal with this debt now please?

Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,987 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 August 2020 at 6:53PM
    Options
    Go to the pub, sit at a socially distanced table, order your favorite tipple from the bar, and say thank you PRA Group.
    Well its unenforcable, and if they have been looking for the paperwork since 2016, and have not yet found it, i doubt they ever will do now.
    You say you have other debts ?
    I would concentrate on those to be honest, this ones a dead duck, i wouldn`t worry too much about it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Go to the pub, sit at a socially distanced table, order your favorite tipple from the bar, and say thank you PRA Group.

If you're doing that you might as well get a half-price meal and say thank you Boris too.

Seriously I agree here. It's now about priorities and enforceable debts are a higher priority than unenforceable ones.

Yes they might write but they're just wasting the cost of a stamp.
  • helpmeimnewthanks
    Options
    ty again both think I really need to get straight in my head which debts are enforceable and work from there
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback