Working from home - tax relief

Hi
I'm confused about what tax relief is available when working from home. I have always had the option to work from home occasionally but have now been working from home permanently since mid-March. It is looking highly likely that I will remain working from home full time for the foreseeable future (possibly into 2021) and then moving on it is likely I will work from home a couple of days a week and then go into work a couple of days a week.
I have completed the short survey on the government website which indicates I am eligible to claim, however, elsewhere it indicates you are only eligible to claim if you do not have an office available to work in, which technically I do and will have at least part time moving forward. It also suggests you cannot claim for broadband and usual home bills etc, so what exactly can I claim for? 
Also, I am using my own equipment to work from home and though i did not purchase it specifically for this (i did however purchase a desk and chair) the wear on the equipment concerns me that i may need to invest in a new laptop every year or so as it has constant daily use. 
It's very confusing, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you spoken to your employer, they should be providing you with the laptop, desk and chair.
    if they cannot provide you with a safe working environment then home working is the only safe option so they need to provide you with the resources to carry out your job.
    If this isn;t possible and you cannot return to work they could possibly make you redundant.

In regards to tax relief i believe you need to fill in a P87 form on the HMRC website.

My employer has provided those who are at risk mainly (BAME) or those shielding with a laptop, headset and desk/chair if required 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback