I'm new and on the road

Starting this thread as a way to encourage myself to keep on going, if it's out there for people to read then surely I have to stick to it.

Me and my husband have been together 18 years this year, we have 3 children, we've had many financial problems over the years, mostly due to being irresponsible and I'll health, last year we were almost debt free, then we ended up getting a car on finance, then a loan to pay for my husband to do his Class 2 license as well as too many one off purchases and then this time last year our world was turned upside down when our 6 month old nephew came to live with us. In the last 18 months we've managed to turn £4k of debt into £14,617. 
We would like to buy our council house so we can extend, but with our current debt it's just not possible.
So my mission is to cut down our expenses and pay off our debts quicker.
Today's plan is to get everything written down, income, outgoings, debts and try to come up with some meal plans, as our £100 weekly shopping budget as managed to turn into £150+.
Enough is enough, let's do this!

Replies

• Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good luck with the debt busting.
    paydbx2023 #36 £420/4300 . 2023 savings challenge £10/£2000 EF £204. Savings 2 £000
  • charlotte1988charlotte1988 Forumite
    92 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Good luck on your journey to becoming debt free :)
    PAYDBX 2022 #8 £135.62 / £7500
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Good luck! You sound like lovely people, taking on a 6 month old as well as having your own children is no small thing. You deserve the best of everything! You can do this.  :)
    From the Forum Rules : "it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently take. Always be friendly, kind and respectful." Bullying/harassment not tolerated.
  • flipflopfloflipflopflo Forumite
    368 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good luck with your debt busting. Getting it written down is frightening but i find it helps concentrate the mind. I have a little note book that I have written on each double page across the top the name of the debt, the debt amount, any account numbers and when the DD/SO goes out. 
    Then I have a column for date, column for amount paid off and column for new total. So when the DD/SOs go out I mark it and then I have a couple that I am hammering with any spare money  I can get so write them down as I go as well.
    I also do the same with any savings and at the end of the book there is debt and savings page where I have the total of each so I can see them going down/up. I know a lot of people prefer spreadsheets but I like being able to write it down and have the book with me. Which ever way you do it it’s a very useful tool for concentrating the mind. 
    I’ve also started surveys to get extra pennies to put towards the debt. If you want to look I have a diary on here. 
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite, Ambassador
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Good luck - don't know what basis your nephew is living with you, but I hope someone is covering some of the costs for you.  You should ask on the benefits board if there is any help or allowances available
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour/Drinking milk shakes cold & long/Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    2022 Achievements: Mortgage Neutral, Net Debt Free, EF filled, Retirement Planned, More Unfit, Heavier
    2023 Targets (as of 1/1/23): Steps-23K/2500K - Weight - 0lbs/24 - Savings-#57-MFW £400/£10800 - #17-365x1p 1p/£667.95
    2023 Achievements (as of 1/1/23): 5km (treadmill)-51'39" - 2km C2 Erg -9'54 - R-Day 272 Days - PMA Save/Earn - £135

I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Over 50s, DFW and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • WhatsupbuttercupWhatsupbuttercup Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    Good luck with your debt busting. Getting it written down is frightening but i find it helps concentrate the mind. I have a little note book that I have written on each double page across the top the name of the debt, the debt amount, any account numbers and when the DD/SO goes out. 
    Then I have a column for date, column for amount paid off and column for new total. So when the DD/SOs go out I mark it and then I have a couple that I am hammering with any spare money  I can get so write them down as I go as well.
    I also do the same with any savings and at the end of the book there is debt and savings page where I have the total of each so I can see them going down/up. I know a lot of people prefer spreadsheets but I like being able to write it down and have the book with me. Which ever way you do it it’s a very useful tool for concentrating the mind. 
    I’ve also started surveys to get extra pennies to put towards the debt. If you want to look I have a diary on here. 
    Thank you I much prefer to have things written down too, i have a  weekly planner where I make a note of all incomings and outgoings so we know what's what but I think I need to add to that and to get organised and get it all down.

• WhatsupbuttercupWhatsupbuttercup Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    mark55man said:
    Good luck - don't know what basis your nephew is living with you, but I hope someone is covering some of the costs for you.  You should ask on the benefits board if there is any help or allowances available
    We are fostering him at the moment as Kinship Carers, we do get a weekly allowance to cover all his needs and they also purchase any big items he may need (cot etc) we have been very lucky and have an amazing Supervising Social Worker. We will be going for Special guardianship order next month and have managed to get the Local Authority to agree to funding till he is 18, although I'm not sure if it's means tested or not, still waiting to hear back.
  • flipflopfloflipflopflo Forumite
    368 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mark55man said:
    We are fostering him at the moment as Kinship Carers, we do get a weekly allowance to cover all his needs and they also purchase any big items he may need (cot etc) we have been very lucky and have an amazing Supervising Social Worker. We will be going for Special guardianship order next month and have managed to get the Local Authority to agree to funding till he is 18, although I'm not sure if it's means tested or not, still waiting to hear back.
    Can I just say you are amazing. I hope it all works out for you all x