Deducting breaks from hours worked.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this properly, and maybe someone can put some light on this, but think my employer is deducting more break then they should be.

my breaks deducted are as follows
  • under 4 hours and 10 minutes = No break 
  • 6 hours and 10 minutes or more but < 8 hours 10 minutes = 30 minutes
  • 8 hours 10 minutes or more but < 9 hours 10 minutes = 45 minutes 
  • 9 hours 10 minutes or more but < 11 hours 10 minutes = 60 minutes 
  • 11 hours 10 minutes or more = 90 minutes. 
     I am sure anything 8 hours and 10 mins or more falls into a 45 minute break? am I correct? that alone looks quite confusing by the format of how they have done it. 

what I am really confused about tho is why my employer is deducting more break than they should be, I could be wrong tho. I will illustrate below so you have a clear idea of     what I mean.

on the 5th of July I worked from 09:48 am - 23:36pm. they have deduct 1:42 which is (1 hr 42 mins?). with it being 13 hrs 48 mins, they should only deduct 90 minutes?
so why have they deducted 1;42 is this right for them to do this. I cant see nothing stating if my hours go over a certain amount they will deduct accordingly.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Bendy1224 said:
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding this properly, and maybe someone can put some light on this, but think my employer is deducting more break then they should be.

my breaks deducted are as follows
    • under 4 hours and 10 minutes = No break 
    • 6 hours and 10 minutes or more but < 8 hours 10 minutes = 30 minutes
    • 8 hours 10 minutes or more but < 9 hours 10 minutes = 45 minutes 
    • 9 hours 10 minutes or more but < 11 hours 10 minutes = 60 minutes 
    • 11 hours 10 minutes or more = 90 minutes. 
         I am sure anything 8 hours and 10 mins or more falls into a 45 minute break? am I correct? that alone looks quite confusing by the format of how they have done it. 

what I am really confused about tho is why my employer is deducting more break than they should be, I could be wrong tho. I will illustrate below so you have a clear idea of     what I mean.

on the 5th of July I worked from 09:48 am - 23:36pm. they have deduct 1:42 which is (1 hr 42 mins?). with it being 13 hrs 48 mins, they should only deduct 90 minutes?
    so why have they deducted 1;42 is this right for them to do this. I cant see nothing stating if my hours go over a certain amount they will deduct accordingly.

No idea why they've deducted 1 hour 42. Have you tried asking your employer how this reconciles with your understanding of deductions for breaks?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You employer is allowed to tell you what breaks to take and they can be in excess of the legal minimum. In fact that is usually a good thing.

• Maybe 1.42 is hours, ie just under 90 minutes..... you need someone who looks at the time sheets to help.
  • 1.42 is a decimal conversion of 85 mins.  Are you sure they are deducting 1 hour and 42 mins and not 85mins? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback