ex employers pension (mercer) txfr to SL Sipp

Options
is it possible for me to do this myself?
I have taken advice that I can produce to either mercer or standard Life, if either of them want proof
I retired this past January and I'm over 65
thanks, Louise

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What type of pension is it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • squirrelpie
    Options

"ex employers pension (mercer) txfr to SL Sipp"

I think Dunstonh meant, is it defined benefit (DB) or defined contribution (DC). The rules are different.
    What advice have you taken? To prove what? From whom?
    65 is no longer a magic number, BTW.
  • r6owned
    r6owned Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    its from Pensions trust, DC pension, I want to take the cash 25% but keep the rest of the fund invested, hence txfr to my SL Sipp
    IFA for the TPT recommends transferring to SIPP, IFA that just terminated my 12yr agreement, recommended leaving the fund in TPT, but that was before i decided i want to take some cash out in the next month or so.
    to prove i have taken advice, if TPT challange the transfer to SL Sipp
    is this something I can do myself? contact TPT and tell them to transfer the fund to SL SIPP
    Contact Standard Like and tell them to look out for funds from TPT... or is that too easy?
    in another post (last month) somebody suggested I did'nt need an IFA as the one ive had for 12 yrs just terminated the greement after I asked a bunch of questions about their advice and work done for me over the past 12yrs
    thankyou
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If this is a DC pension without safeguarded benefits, why do you need to demonstrate to TPT that you have taken advice?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You only need advice if your DC pension has some sort of safeguarded benefits (e.g. guaranteed annuity rates).

Otherwise just open a SIPP with your chosen provider and then they'll provide you with any forms necessary to start the transfer in process.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've heard that Mercer can be very slow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback