17yr just finished college no work

Hi, my daughter has just finished college and is applying for jobs but as yet no luck. As she is 18 next month and taking a gap year all my benefits get cut back. I’m struggling enough filling in my forms for PIP let alone helping her out with what she can be claiming and where to start! All this form filling and keeping up to date with everything is pushing me over the edge as I have nobody to turn to for help. I have MS, Spondylolethesis (stage2) and suffer with random postural hypotension. I currently work 16hrs and being a single mum have been renting for 10years and managing on the extra help the government has provided. What should she do to claim money so I can update our status on the HMRC site. My brain fog has gone into overdrive. Please advise so my daughter can read and understand what you are saying. Thank you. Exasperated 

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think this question would be better on the benefits forum, but hopefully this may be the starting point you need. Try https://www.turn2us.org.uk for well informed, helpful advice and information. 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Hi Joanne,

Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope they get better soon. Did your daughter look into claiming Universal Credit once she is 18?
  • Hi, yes she has and also job seekers allowance, but again that is so complicated.  After lots of searching through the internet I think she will call citizens advice in the morning and see if they can help her walk thru the maze. 
    She’s finally spending some time with her father at the moment but as soon as she returns she said she’ll help me go through the Turn2Us. It used to be so easy to call to update my info but the queues on the phone are unbelievable. Thank you both. I will update my progress. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just a thought, but can she ask her Dad to help her navigate what she can claim, maybe starting with Turn2Us? Thinking that should reduce the pressure on you ... 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Seldonista
    Seldonista Posts: 63 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't know about the benefits side of thing, and obviously I don't know where you are, how bad the job market is there, the exact restrictions you've been facing because of the virus,  or your daughter's quals/skillset, but the Civil Service and a lot of the public sector have not stopped hiring at all so look at both entry level jobs (administrative officer or executive officer in the civil service) and any schemes or programmes. I started in telesales after failing uni 4 years in a row (I only came out with a degree because I wrote an amazing appeal), then a low grade data analyst, then got into the civil service 3 years ago, now I'm being offered a £31k job. Way leads onto way - be hopeful.

Also, seriously consider further or higher education, even if your daughter has no interest, given your low income situation she may qualify for some money for maintenance and it allows her to "skip", or at least have an easier time of this recession, access career development opportunities, come out of it with a  higher qualification etc. Universities and colleges are desperate for students (i.e. customers) and this year it is a buyer's market.

If you're worried about student "loans" don't be. Martin has explained how the student "loans" system works in detail elsewhere on the website, on the itv show, on YouTube etc. 
  • JSA is dependant on NI contributions which at her age I doubt she has even paid enough so that would be ruled out. 

Depending on savings she would only be entitled to Universal Credit. 
  • oh_really
    oh_really Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    I think she needs to put on hold any thoughts of taking a year out, she simply can't afford to atm.

She'd be well advised to seek employment and raise her qualification lortfio.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As she's no longer in education then you'll need to report the changes to HMRC if you're claiming tax credits for her and this will end, along with child benefit.
    Once she reaches 18 then she'll be able to claim Universal Credit. A single person under the age of 25 will be entitled to £342.72 per month. She will be expected to look for work, if she claims UC.
    She will not be entitled to any help with the rent because she's living with you.
    Do be aware that the standard allowance of UC has increased by approx £85 per month due to Covid19. This will return to normal from April 2021.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback