Getting a backdated default... Have I got anything to lose?

Options

I have been on a DMP for 8 years. Most accounts registered as default early on so have dropped off but I have 3 accounts on my credit reference file from years ago that were never marked as defaulted. I've been advised to go back to the original creditor and ask them to add a backdated default date as these would then drop off my Credit Reference File.

My question is, do I have anything to lose?

I don't want to ask them to do this if I could end up with a default dated from now which remains for 6 years. Can the original creditor add any default date they like or can they only add dates from before they sold on the debt?

I hope that makes sense and I'm not talking nonsense.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Atena
    Atena Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How did you get on? I have same problem x
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your complaint should make it clear the default should have been added at an earlier date, for example, when you first got into financial trouble.

Make it clear you want them to default you, and backdate that default as described above.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Atena
    Options
    @sourcrates yes I have sent email last week and posted recorded letter today. I used template from this forum.
    I have 2 accounts with shop direct which shows AP markers then mark "6" twice in the middle of 2017 then AP markers again. They have marked May 2021 as 6 again. Just odd. Debt was paid in full end of May 2021.
    I entered DMP in March 2016 therefore I believe debt should have been defaulted in March 2016. 
    I have written confirmation from NCO Europe stating they were taking care of the debt since March 2016- can it be used as an argument that's a default? 
    I will update here once they reply 
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Shop Direct are notorious for this kind of practice, they are not technically doing anything wrong, but AP markers stay twice as long on your file as a default does.

NCO are the inhouse collections team for shop direct.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Atena
    Options
    Just to update on my current situation. After complaining Shop direct marked my account with 6. I'm absolutely fuming. They have acknowledged my complaint via letter and will let me know the outcome soon. I've attached screenshots just to show how ridiculous it looks
  • Atena
    Options
    I have received reply from Shop Direct.
    I think they misunderstood my letter completely or playing stupid as there is no default on my file but AR markers

It reads: "My understanding of your complaint is that you are disputing the default date appearing on your credit file as you have now completed your arrangement. I can see that an arrangement was set on 17th of Match 2016. (...) I can confirm that I have spoken with both our Debt Sale team and Credit Reference team regarding this and both departments have clarified that your account should reflect an arrangement from 17th of March 2016"

I will wait for my credit score to update before I reply to this letter.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Atena said:

I will wait for my credit score to update before I reply to this letter.
    Your credit score ?

What bearing does that made up number have on anything ?

Credit scores are marketing tools that respond to change of any kind, they are spun by the credit reference agencies, and the last time I looked they were not money lenders, only banks lend money, so that number, that only you see, is pretty much meaningless in the real world.

The only scoring system of any merit, is what lenders use to assess you for credit, and that system is a closely guarded secret.
  • Atena
    Options
    @sourcrates sorry I meant my credit report to show what changes they made regarding the letter. It doesn't look like they agreed to default or am I wrong?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback