Possible implied contract advice.

I'll try and keep this brief. I've worked for the same company for nearly 5 years and always been on a 5 day 45 hour week. January 2020, they introduced a 4 day week at 42.5 hours. This appealed to me as I spend a large proportion of my salary travelling to and from work. However I initially declined the option because I was so reliant on the 45 hour pay. I was then told that I could work the 4 day week and 1 of my days off to make up the hours, so this is what I did and it worked well for me until the whole coronavirus pandemic. We were asked for volunteers to continue working throughout lockdown. I did put my name forward as many other staff had vulnerable people in their household and I didn't, providing that I wasn't financially out of pocket. I was then selected to stay and told we would have to work a 5 day 40 hour week. I then raised my concern about the fall in hours and therefore pay, to which I was told "I'll sort it out, don't worry" he was then furloughed. I raised my concerns with the area manager and was told we would get normal basic pay regardless of hours worked. However when payday came I was paid 42.5 hours and not the 45 I was relying on. After we were back to full staffing levels in June I was asked to go back to my normal hours and the sent me a contract of 5 days 45 hours. After many conversations I have got nowhere trying to ask for the extra "implied" missing 2.5 hours a week. I then started looking for another job as I just felt so frustrated. My boss found out I was looking and understood why I was frustrated and offered the missing hours but only if I stayed. I have now accepted another job offer. Where do I stand? Surely I should be entitled to either the 45 hours during lockdown or the 42.5 hours since June? Or is it not worth the effort as I'm leaving anyway. 
I hope if explained it sufficiently. Thanks in advance. Dan

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't see how they can argue that they don't owe you the money.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    dan19030 said:
    My boss found out I was looking and understood why I was frustrated and offered the missing hours but only if I stayed. I have now accepted another job offer. Where do I stand? Surely I should be entitled to either the 45 hours during lockdown or the 42.5 hours since June? Or is it not worth the effort as I'm leaving anyway. 

Did your boss put his offer in writing? If not, I don't see how you can 'prove' anything. 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It also sounds like your boss does not have the authority to offer that anyway as he was over ruled previously. 
  • dan19030
    dan19030 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately the latest offer was not put in writing, and probably never would. But to fair they are very good at protecting the company. As an example, initially, my boss said that he would pay me half an hour over time every day for a month to make up the lost hours. As I usually work through my lunch break I continued this but it turned out what he actually meant was if I worked overtime he would pay me for that not give me an extra half hour as implied. Also the working my day off to make up my 45 hours was not a special deal for me, it was open to everyone on a 4 day week. The most recent discussion was between my boos, the area manager and HR director, I imagine as you say he may not have been approved the "bonus" offer as they have said that I have been paid what is actually written down. 
  • dan19030
    dan19030 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just feeling a bit lost, frustrated and let down right now. 
  • oh_really
    oh_really Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    dan19030 said:
    Just feeling a bit lost, frustrated and let down right now. 
    Why, you've secured a new role, onwards and upwards.
  • I don't get it either, presume your new role comes with better terms. People who are caught or confess to job-hunting, can have their lives made very uncomfortable. (it's a totally different senario to someone being talked into staying)
  • Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think the chances of getting any money out of them sound slim beyond just asking them nicely/firmly via a letter. 

To be honest, balanced against heartache of pursuing a maybe I’d just write it off as a loss and leave without burning bridges.
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback