New Post Advanced Search

Back Pay as Lump Sum

2 replies 131 views
nmehta_001nmehta_001 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I started a new job through mid May, I was informed that I could not be paid my salary for that month as the salary calculations had already been done. The following month, June, I received my salary but also with my Back Pay as one lump sum. With this I was taxed quite highly and I'm wondering if I can get this resolved with my employer or someone else?


  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The tax will resolve itself at the end of the tax year.
  • edited 23 July at 4:59PM
    chrisburchrisbur Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 23 July at 4:59PM
    As advised tax will sort itself out, though when will depend on several things.   If you have a P45 it will be resolved as soon as this is operated, if you have already handed in your P45 tax has probably been resolved already and the higher tax was due to either just getting two months salary or an overlap of tax periods, otherwise will resolve when HMRC know you are employed there and have issued your tax code with pay and tax details to your employer.
    In circumstances like this it sometimes happens that the employer does not deduct the correct national insurance, this will not correct itself if this has happened.
    If you want the figures checking you can post them on here....
    Taxable gross (and split of the two figures)
    Tax paid
    Tax code/basis
    Week/month number
    Taxable gross to date
    Tax paid to date
    NI deducted
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support