Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Pay rise in the department for some and not other

New Post Advanced Search

Pay rise in the department for some and not other

21 replies 983 views

Hi, 

I work for company  A, who pays my salary through company B something to do with head count. I have worked with this arrangement for 15 years. At the beginning of my contract i was told ( oral contract?) that i would be under the same terms and conditions as the employees of company A. who do the same job. At the time there were 4 company A employees within the department , only 2 are left. By enlarge they have honoured the terms and conditions, eg whenever company A employees have had a pay rise or bonus, It’s reflected in our pay by company B. Essentially company B is paid by company A to cover our salary. This year company A have had a pay rise but not included us. Company B implies that we are now on their terms and conditions.  This was apparently discussed and agreed on by the 2 companies last year and contracts agreed, but we were not part of it and only finding out now when we questioned why others had got their pay rise and not us.

Can I challenge this decision? 

Thanks.

Replies

• prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - you can resign.
  • jqyjqy Forumite
    15 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    prowla said:
    Yes - you can resign.
    Ok, but it’s not what I had in mind. Thanks anyway.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on a number of factors whats the relationship between A and B, is B an agency?
  • jqyjqy Forumite
    15 posts
    Comms69 said:
    Depends on a number of factors whats the relationship between A and B, is B an agency?
    Thanks. No B is not an agency but a company provides services to A.
    13.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    Then there is no issue in terms of equal pay. 
  • jqyjqy Forumite
    15 posts
    Comms69 said:
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    You mean You don’t think we are entitled? 2 of company A employees do the exact same job it just that at some point company A decided to outsource these services hence our pay through company B.
  • DoxDox Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    You mean You don’t think we are entitled? 2 of company A employees do the exact same job it just that at some point company A decided to outsource these services hence our pay through company B.
    You are 'entitled' to whatever your contract says. There's no law which says employees have to be paid equally UNLESS the basis for the difference is related to something known as a 'protected characteristic' (race, gender, age etc). That would be hard to prove, given how few people are involved to form what's known as the 'comparator' group.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dox said:
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    You are 'entitled' to whatever your contract says. There's no law which says employees have to be paid equally UNLESS the basis for the difference is related to something known as a 'protected characteristic' (race, gender, age etc). That would be hard to prove, given how few people are involved to form what's known as the 'comparator' group.
    Quite!

It never ceases to amaze me how many people fail to understand that.
    13.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dox said:
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    jqy said:
    Comms69 said:
    Or if they are covered by the temporary workers legislation
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    What does your contract say?