The council wrote to me informing Me my band is changing because of house improvements ., We have only lived the house for 12 months and the improvements were done 24 months ago , when we brought the house surveys were done and it was marketed at a Band E now the council want to change it to an F . Can they do this or should this have been picked up years back when they signed of the extension application. ?


  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    This is correct in law. 

    Usually happens sooner than 12 months after purchase, but can be even later. If a current owner carries out improvements to their home which warrant an increased CT band, then the band cannot actually be increased until there is a new owner.

    Presuming you are in England or Wales, it should be the Valuation Office Agency that notify you of a band increase rather than the council
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News