Tesco Pharmacy no longer ordering perscriptions?

Options
Spendless
Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 20 July 2020 at 9:48AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
For some years I have had my regular monthly perscription ordered from my GP by Tesco Pharmacy. I then collect from them after receiving a text message.
This month I didn't receive a text message but I knew my medication should be ready, so I asked husband to collect when he went there. He was told that I couldn't order this way in future. As I'd no idea why this would be the case I've rang this morning and queried it. I've been told that the NHS no longer want pharmacies to do the ordering and want people to do it themselves. As I felt the replies to my questions were being carefully worded I asked if it was not a service Tesco was offerring. The reply was that all the rest of the country had already changed over and it was just my town that hadn't. Is this actually true? If it is the case that all pharmacies, not just Tesco  can no longer order on behalf of patients fair enough. I'd just rather know this is correct though. 

Comments

• welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Boots stopped doing this a long time ago. I now have to order  my prescription from my Doctor and they send it electronically to Boots.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this just Tesco ?  
    I get mine at Boots who do the repeats.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I order via the Superdrug app.  I then get notification when the items are ready for collection in store.  I’ve heard nothing to say this system has been discontinued.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Maybe it's different in Scotland. Boots orders my prescription and I get a text to say it's ready. 

Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in England. Asda stopped doing the "pull" prescription ordering for me about a year ago, I now have to "push" the prescription from my GP with Asda as the nominated pharmacy. 
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe it's the big stores. My local chemist still orders the repeats for me. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2020 at 7:51PM
    Options
    I think there was an issue with over ordering where if it's something you don't need every month -PRN, creams etc - if the pharmacy orders everything on your list every month without checking what you need, it ends up with items being sent unnecessarily and potentially being wasted.
    Lloyd has a system where you tell them what you need and they can then get the prescription from the GP for you. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had to tell the chemist what to order when collecting meds, then they would order it for me, eventually letting me know it had arrived, most times I had to chase them to check if it was ready as I would be about to run out of meds that night.

They ended up ordering things I didn't need, not ordering things I did need and I ended up with several months worth of some meds.

Got so fed up with them I ended up going back to ordering things myself.

I also complained several times as without my pain meds, life is a living hell. 

This was Boots in Scotland and reading reviews they, as a collective, have had so many unhappy people over the last few years.

I've recently moved, registered with a new Dr and chemist, but as both are within a few minutes walk I'm happy to stay ordering meds myself. I just need to get the online ordering set up with my Dr. 

The new chemist are happy to do my ordering, if I want them to.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien said:
    I think there was an issue with over ordering where if it's something you don't need every month -PRN, creams etc - if the pharmacy orders everything on your list every month without checking what you need, it ends up with items being sent unnecessarily and potentially being wasted.
    Lloyd has a system where you tell them what you need and they can then get the prescription from the GP for you. 
    Here's the irony. Every month when I collected Tesco would ask me if I wanted the same again and tick accordingly. This afternoon I asked my Mum about it (they're at a different but nearby Drs) and they went onto the app a while ago. My Dad does my Mum's perscription as she isn't computer literate. She has a cream that she should take for 2 months on, 2 months off. My Dad has been ordering it every time for her. I think my nearest Lloyds is at the opposite end of town unfortunately, but thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback