Paypal account limitations

We are a non-profit making sports association and signed up to Paypal in 2017 to take payments from parents for junior hockey activity.  For over a year we have had a limitation on our account which does not allow us to transfer money out of it and eventually close the account. I cannot message Paypal or access their Resolution centre and I eventually spoke to a live person who said they would relay a message to the correct department for me.  I received an email asking for a business registration number and another Letter of authorisation as they wouldn't accept the first one.  We are not a registered business so cannot provide any supporting documents  for this but have sent them another Letter of authorisation.  I have had no acknowledgement of this so don't know whether it has been received or not and when I tried to ring the Paypal number I had they just ended the call. We were accepted in 2017 without a business registration number so I am not sure why they are insisting on this now which we cannot comply with.  I have seen other blogs from people who have had their accounts blocked and who are not able to retrieve their money so how widespread is this practice?

Comments

• The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Paypal blocked my account and told me they would hold onto the money for 180 days.

I don't really play stupid games like that so I reversed the bank transfers I made to the Paypal account. Paypal updated my balance with a "correction" transaction for the amount I pulled back from them - nothing else they can do.

Good luck getting this sorted - you may well need it :(
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Are you not registered as a community amateur sports club (CASC) with the HMRC ? 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback