Underfloor Electric Heating

in N. Ireland
5 replies 141 views
kah22kah22 Forumite
1.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
In a month or so I’m renovating my 60’s style house, basically I’m knocking down a wall and turning my old living room and sitting room into one large living area
It was suggested to me that I might look at underfloor electric heating and with electric prices much dearer here in the North than across the water I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has had experience of it. Is it a good investment?
 At the moment I have a radiator in each room running of my oil and they’ll stay. I’ve also got a multi burner but I can’t see it heating the whole of the enlarged room  I’m also aware that oil supplies are drying up and prices are rising !
With prices across the water much lower than here it’s safe to assume that there will be a greater view on the topic, so I’ll probably post a slightly different thread there.
As always thanks for your input 

Replies

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't  - several recent threads have highlighted how expensive this can be. 
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m also aware that oil supplies are drying up and prices are rising !

Oil prices are very low at present. Upgrade old radiators to more efficient ones
  • edited 17 July 2020 at 9:33PM
    motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2020 at 9:33PM
    kah22 said:
    In a month or so I’m renovating my 60’s style house, basically I’m knocking down a wall and turning my old living room and sitting room into one large living area
    It was suggested to me that I might look at underfloor electric heating and with electric prices much dearer here in the North than across the water I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has had experience of it. Is it a good investment?
     At the moment I have a radiator in each room running of my oil and they’ll stay. I’ve also got a multi burner but I can’t see it heating the whole of the enlarged room  I’m also aware that oil supplies are drying up and prices are rising !
    With prices across the water much lower than here it’s safe to assume that there will be a greater view on the topic, so I’ll probably post a slightly different thread there.
    As always thanks for your input 
    Electric underfloor IMHO would be a very bad idea IMHO.  Expensive to run, intrusive to fit.

I'd upgrade your radiators, look at improving and increasing insulation, look at digital thermostats to control room temp and perhaps upgrading your boiler if its old to a more efficient one.

Oil supplies are not drying up, prices are very low, world usage is well down so prices likely to stay low.

• kah22kah22 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    The house is pretty well insulated, I have no worries that way
    I was talking to a friend of mine in the building trade and his firm advice was don’t. He told me that as I already have two sources of heat a radiator and a multi-burner that if I did go down the road of under floor heat I would have to have a very good (and expensive) control system. So that’s hit that on the head.
    Thanks to everyone for their input