Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

I'm a LTD Company sole Director - what happens to all my assets when the company closes?

New Post Advanced Search

I'm a LTD Company sole Director - what happens to all my assets when the company closes?

10 replies 493 views
AshG1992AshG1992 Forumite
5 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, pretty much all in the title. Due to the current Covid situation a lot of business, including me, are considering closing down. 
I'm a graphic design freelancer set up as a LTD company. I had been trading less than a year before the outbreak of covid so I haven't been able to claim a furlough.
I've purchased computer equipment up to an excess of £2000 during my time working - what happens to this if I decide to close down my company?

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• bap98189bap98189 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the company owe any money? If so then the equipment should be sold to pay the debts. If not then it is yours.
  • ACGACG Forumite
    20.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the equipment belong to you or the company? 
    If it belongs to you, then it is your asset so it would not be used to pay off any debts. 
    If it belongs to the company then it would potentially be used to cover any debts if there are any. But it depends on what the company owes. Also bare in mind if you have paid yourself any dividends, those would likely need paying back to the company. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • AshG1992AshG1992 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ACG said:
    If it belongs to you, then it is your asset so it would not be used to pay off any debts. 
    If it belongs to the company then it would potentially be used to cover any debts if there are any. But it depends on what the company owes. Also bare in mind if you have paid yourself any dividends, those would likely need paying back to the company. 
    The company has no debts. But the equipment was payed for out of the company accounts as an expense. I assume this would make it owned by the company. Does this change anything?
    And could you explain the dividend part to me please, why would they need to be paid back. Would this only need to happen if the company was still in debt?

Thanks again for both your replies.
  • edited 15 July at 7:42PM
    DoxDox Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 7:42PM
    AshG1992 said:
    ACG said:
    The company has no debts. But the equipment was payed for out of the company accounts as an expense. I assume this would make it owned by the company. Does this change anything?
    And could you explain the dividend part to me please, why would they need to be paid back. Would this only need to happen if the company was still in debt?

Thanks again for both your replies.
    Don't worry, the dividend comment would only be relevant if the company had debts it couldn't pay and you had paid yourself dividends when there were insufficient profits to support such a payment.
  • AshG1992AshG1992 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am the sole shareholder that's right. And thanks for clearing that up guys, appreciate the help.
  • tasticztasticz Forumite
    506 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If you want to keep the items for yourselves then you'll need to add balancing charge on the corporation tax computation for the items and pay corporation tax @ 20% for that amount.

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've got an accountant, it would be well worth talking to them to make sure you do this right ... 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    AshG1992 said:
    LTD company. I had been trading less than a year before the outbreak of covid so I haven't been able to claim a furlough.
    Why couldn't you claim furlough?  If you had run payroll before 23 March, you could have been eligible for furlough.  Too late now though.

What will you do for income once you close the company?
  • edited 20 July at 11:12AM
    LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 July at 11:12AM
    AshG1992 said:
    LTD company. I had been trading less than a year before the outbreak of covid so I haven't been able to claim a furlough.
    Why couldn't you claim furlough?  If you had run payroll before 23 March, you could have been eligible for furlough.  Too late now though.

What will you do for income once you close the company?

When they began trading using the limited company maybe they were hoping to pay less tax by taking dividends rather than a salary.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but it normally makes sense to receive a low salary to appropriate thresholds.