No pay from job due to not being on system

Options
I need advice - my son is a student who started working for local council as lifeguard/leisure in February. He wasn’t placed on system in time to receive first wage and therefore wasn’t on system to be furloughed. No one can help as wages staff are saying furloughed. He has yet to be paid for work from 5 months ago and has missed out on being furloughed which would have been a big help as a student for the next academic year - what are his rights? 
Many thanks 

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keelyw said:
    I need advice - my son is a student who started working for local council as lifeguard/leisure in February. He wasn’t placed on system in time to receive first wage and therefore wasn’t on system to be furloughed. No one can help as wages staff are saying furloughed. He has yet to be paid for work from 5 months ago and has missed out on being furloughed which would have been a big help as a student for the next academic year - what are his rights? 
    Many thanks 

He has the right to be paid for the time he worked in February.  He should ask why he has not been paid for that. 

If they are saying he has been furloughed, where are they getting that information from?  If he had been furloughed he should have been paid.  How can they say he has been furloughed but not paid?  Or are they saying something else?  To be furloughed he would have had to have agreed.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was under the impression council staff couldn’t be furloughed as they are already paid by public funds? 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was under the impression council staff couldn’t be furloughed as they are already paid by public funds? 
    Most can't there is some exceptions but I doubt life guards are one as the council will still be funding the leisure centres. So as the poster above says he should have been paid still.  What does his contract say?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback