New Post Advanced Search

Money

6 replies 595 views
amywt90amywt90 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
Hey,
I completely get that this post is going to get a lot of angry replies but please just hear me out, I know I am completely in the wrong. Me and my ex were together for 8 years and lived
together for 2. In the time we lived together we had a lot of money issues. Catalogues were taken out under his name by me and I am truly sorry for doing so this and know I shouldn’t have. I have been making payments but not the full payments. My ex has found out and is understandably upset and annoyed. In total it comes to £2500 roughly. I have made some payments this weekend etc and have said I will make the biggest payments I can going forward (£900 when I get paid next week) he is deciding wherever to go to the police or not, I can obviously understand if he does. I’m just really scared that as I care for my Mam I will go to prison and there will be no one else to look after her. I obviously don’t expect any sympathy on this I’m just really concerned for my Mam

Replies

• fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Cashback Cashier Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, we deal with all sorts here.

Unlikely the police will be very interested.

As these are catalogues, I have known cases (JD Williams group) where the company concerned switched the account into another name because fraud was admitted. If you accept that these are your debts then you should be able to give permission for that to happen. He'll have to initiate it and give your details
  • edited 14 July at 10:31PM
    sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 10:31PM
    If you pay them back I am sure the police have far more interesting things to deal with. 
  • edited 14 July at 10:26PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    20.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 10:26PM
    Like checking for face masks for instance.......
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • amywt90amywt90 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    fatbelly said:
    Hey, we deal with all sorts here.

Unlikely the police will be very interested.

As these are catalogues, I have known cases (JD Williams group) where the company concerned switched the account into another name because fraud was admitted. If you accept that these are your debts then you should be able to give permission for that to happen. He'll have to initiate it and give your details
    Thank you, just very worried and I will have a look into this today and see if that can be done 
  • edited 15 July at 10:30PM
    fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Cashback Cashier Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 10:30PM
    It may be more difficult if it's Shop Direct but worth asking the question.
    Your ex will have to do that, of course. They won't talk to you in the first instance.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is doubtful the police will be interested and I am sure it won't come to prison. Make a definite arrangement to pay going forward and maybe speak to the catalogue but I hesitate to say they will be ok with transferring it into your name but worth a try. Do a budget showing the catalogue and your ex what you can afford and prioritise it over everything other than essential bills like rent/mortgage and utilities/food. Do you have other debts? 
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]