Forum Home» Money Saving Polls

MSE Poll: How have your monthly outgoings changed during lockdown?

New Post Advanced Search

MSE Poll: How have your monthly outgoings changed during lockdown?

4 replies 522 views
MSE_Laura_BMSE_Laura_B MSE Staff
109 posts
Fourth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
Poll started 14 July 2020

The UK lockdown has caused a big shift in spending patterns for millions of households. This week, we want to know which of your monthly outgoings have changed – and how – since the pandemic struck.

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks!

Replies

• BobbinAlongBobbinAlong Forumite
    164 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    It didn't include spending on alcohol and eating out which has gone down loads because of not going to the pub and is going to stay that way as OH has appreciated being able to afford to buy more tools. First change of habit caused by the virus!
  • MrsFoxHMrsFoxH Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    To have a focus during this weird time I started a ‘Covid Cash Builder’ looking at ways I could save more money through reworking bills, selling items I no longer use and actively banking the money I was saving through less fuel for example
    Its crept above £5k and the hubby and I have been using this to make things like home improvements as well as reduce the mortgage for example
    Its been really satisfying as well as keeping up focused 😊
  • ginger_chocolateginger_chocolate Forumite
    97 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    It didn't include spending on alcohol and eating out which has gone down loads because of not going to the pub and is going to stay that way as OH has appreciated being able to afford to buy more tools. First change of habit caused by the virus!
    I thought exactly the same. Most of my expenses in this poll stayed roughly the same but I've still been spending less overall - no eating out, no pub, no cinema, no haircuts, no gym classes, got a massive refund through a holiday being cancelled, so on. Although I was never really an extravagant spender before lockdown, it has made me think a bit about how I prioritise what I do with my money and I may make some permanent changes to my budget after this all blows over. I'm looking forward to going on holiday and getting my hair cut professionally certainly, but it has surprised me how little I miss eating out and that working out at home probably suits me better than the gym.
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our personal circumstances changed at the same time as lockdown was introduced - my husband was due to start a new job but the contract can't yet be honoured so we're down to my income, i.e. a third of what we had in March. However, we had just paid off our mortgage and our son moved out, so those expenses are gone.

I'm a key worker so my basic wage remains the same, but I can't pick up as many extra hours as I used to as our service has been requisitioned to support the war effort (I mean the NHS).

My work has also provided a uniform which means extra laundry bills (hot washes required) but it also frees up enough casual clothes to last me quite a long time (and my dressier stuff has been on hangers for months - I've discovered I've no current need of it). I can't believe I've only bought socks and one work shirt this year. I've heard I can claim some of the laundry costs but theoretically work will do my laundry so I may not be eligible.

We aren't using the car much - I can walk to work - and I found I had a sneaky habit of recreational shopping which has largely stopped. Food expenditure has gone down a bit as we plan better and are cooking more from scratch now we have more time.

DIY expenditure has gone up, as, with DH having more time, we're finally fitting the kitchen we've wanted for some years and there are a couple of home maintenance items that need attention - however we have had work done on the house in the last couple of years too,  so that's not changed significantly.

No holiday has been booked, but that could change.

DH found a much cheaper gas and electricity supplier so our bills there are almost halved.

Donations are going to be routed through me now that I'm the only taxpayer. We've reviewed and reduced these but that was planned pre-lockdown in line with DH's planned reduction in income.

Some things haven't changed - I cut our hair so that costs us nothing (though trying to replace our old equipment proved to be a problem as there was so much competition)! I had already resolved to try to grow some vegetables and that's under way. We haven't any loans or significant subscriptions. Extra time and opportunity to cycle meant my husband's bike has had to have work done: bike costs seem to have been a significant 'thing' for many in lockdown.

In short, our income and expenditure are both reduced. I think it would have been harder to find ourselves in this situation earlier in life but we're in our fifties with grown children and no mortgage.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by £3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19